• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - GML Visual [SOLVED] GMS2 and Vector/SVG

• Thread starter Tom_SavePointsGames
  • Start date
T

Tom_SavePointsGames

I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything.

Any word of if GMS2 supports .svg? Also if it doesn't, does it at least continue support for swf like gms1.4?

If it does, is there anywhere I can read all about it?

Thanks
-Tom

T

Tom_SavePointsGames

"and while they are a rough order"

and then 3 from the bottom...

"Import SVG graphics"

dang so it's likely I won't be able to import SVG until Nov/Dec if I buy GMS2. Oh well.

K

Kululu17

If there is anyplace to show support for getting this particular feature implemented with higher priority, then sign me up. I think .svg support would be REALLY useful.

Ax209

Sorry to bring up this old post again. But SVG files don't currently seem to be on the roadmap. It would be an absolutely huge help to get some SVG support in GMS2. Adobe is just too costly for some folk, and it would mean we'd be able to implement more affordable products such as Affinity when learning to make games in GMS2.

M

MarceloP

Was this deleted from the new Roadmap although it was not implemented last year?

Karlstens

Thread necro!!! So Goodgis posted this lovely video recently, which had me looking into vector graphics - but then I remembered how GMS2.3+ only imports the SWF vector format but not the SVG. :(

Having a look through .SVG file format via notepad++, thankfully it's all open and readable and so I dare say I can fudge together something that'll extract my simple artwork into a vertex buffer object - but still, what a pain!

So, I propose that anyone who searches the yoyo forums for SVG to then find this thread, and then reads my post, please please please log a feature enhancement with YoYo asking them kindly to support SVG import.

Whilst you're here, this is the free vector art tool that I've started playing with, so cool!!

EDIT:
Also, this SWF to SVG tool was posted in another thread, and I've quickly tested it to find it still works (for simple art work at least) - it's command line driven;

However, I feel that pushing SWF/SVG data into GMS2 through what is effectively a sprite workflow aimed at pixel artwork seems odd, I'm sure they can do better here.

EDIT:
And unfortunately SWF/SVG workflow only works for hard colours, and blending shadows/gradients aren't supported. Such as, my below masterpiece outputs as a disaster when following the above conversion workflow;

Loads OK in the browser as the native SWF format, but fails to convert all aspects into SVG and thus GMS2 fails to display the desired output.

Final Edit (I swear!):
Massive shout-out to @meseta for this itch.io tool;

It works well for Windows (either VM or YYC), man I'd love to see YoYo incorporate this into their GameMaker plan.

Last edited:

Karlstens

Thread-necrooooo…. Just a quick SVG update, I’ve since discovered a few things;

- Grab a copy of InkScape, a free SVG creation tool that is simply amazing and should cater for most of your SVG needs.

- Microsoft PowerToys app is an extension for Windows that offers many enhancements that gamedevs will find useful. The recent update is adding support to SVG (and its varying schemas) to Windows file icons and Windows Explorer Preview. (I did find and log a bug, seems that only optimized SVG files are visible in Explorer)

- Blender also supports SVG import into mesh, which is freakin’ amazing. Sketch out your ideas in 2D SVG, then bring those same files to life in 3D.

I’ll be writing YoYo a new request to get SVG back onto their roadmap, as it’s simply too useful and accessible now to ignore. Vectorised graphics (and not rasterised) are the best. 😎