• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED] GMS1.4 - Extensions and where the files go

D

Dave Jenkins

I downloaded an extension from the marketplace and imported it. All of the functions are working as they should. But where are they?

The tool I'm using is Grid to Buffer. It has functions such as:
ds_grid_write_buffer(grid);
ds_grid_read_buffer(buffer);
+ two others

I see a script called ds_grid_write_buffer, but I don't see any of the other scripts. They show up when debugging and stepping through them, but I don't see them listed under scripts. I need to modify them to work in my current project, but can't find them.

So when importing extension resources, where are they? Where do they go?

Thank you

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The extension functions will be part of the source code of the extension and as such can't be edited within GMS. You need to open the extension location, find the source code files and then edit them in an external editor like Notepad++ or visual studio or whatever (will depend on the language used to write the functions).

The extension functions will be part of the source code of the extension and as such can't be edited within GMS. You need to open the extension location, find the source code files and then edit them in an external editor like Notepad++ or visual studio or whatever (will depend on the language used to write the functions).
Yes. To quickly locate the source code simply right-click one of the files/folders listed under "Extensions" and look for "Open in Explorer" or "Open in External Editor."

Dave: I'm not sure what your (coding) background is, but Notepad++ and Atom are both great options.
  • Notepad++ is easy to use, and minimal.
  • Atom has a more robust interface, and more features "in the box."
I prefer Atom because it saves a lot of repetitive keystrokes, and helps me keep large projects organized.

D

Dave Jenkins

Thank you both.

I found what I was looking for in the single script resource in that directory. It was using the #define command to create multiple scripts in the one file. I ended up just removing the resource from my project and creating the 4 scripts manually using copy/paste from the resource file.