[SOLVED](GMS 1.4) Unable to test my game

So, I've found the solution! It was entirely on me and I didn't even realize. I was using a "while" loop to do something timeline-style and it was causing the entire software to hang before it even opened a window!

In case anyone wanted to know how I figured it out: Other projects launched fine. After trying a recommendation of cleaning the project and then exporting and re-importing said project and getting nowhere, I decided to try, on a whim, a blank room in front of everything. It launched fine - so it seems GM isn't to blame - so far - so I am thinking maybe it's a corrupted room? I make a duplicate of the room, place it in front - same issue. So I clear out the objects - and it runs. I check the objects - nothing unusual in the script or the first object, but I create an object that actually has a while loop. And I fail at using while loops usually, so I change it up, and it runs FINE.

For those that wanna see the original post:
-----------------------------------------------------

I've found myself suddenly unable to actually test run my game. Every time I attempt to launch it from within GMStudio, it just will not launch. It'll work on building the game, however, it seems to hang at the following:

"C:\Users\antho\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Runner.exe" -game "C:\Users\antho\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_39811\gm_ttt_3532\Sphiro.win"
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"
Total memory used = 605221(0x00093c25) bytes
Compile finished: 7:50:44 PM


I tried finding information on this but it either leads to a "solved" thread that doesn't seem to explain what's happening and how to fix it, or questions with no answers. I didn't change anything. Last I was doing the other night was saving after editing a couple of lines of code, but nothing related to audio.

EDIT: I've been finding that the audio part is an expected piece and reading it to myself a few times it seems to be unrelated. But that still begs the question as to why it's been happening out of seemingly nowhere to begin with!

EDIT2: I can launch other games without any problem whatsoever. It's just a specific project, it seems.
 
Last edited:
First thing to try is the standard clearing the cache, you can click the broom icon in the menu to do this.

Next thing if that doesn't work is to do an export of your project as a GMZ file, then re-import it to a fresh location and try building again.
 
First thing to try is the standard clearing the cache, you can click the broom icon in the menu to do this.

Next thing if that doesn't work is to do an export of your project as a GMZ file, then re-import it to a fresh location and try building again.
So I've tried clearing the cache via that broom icon. I've just tried exporting, deleting the original project folder and re-importing, and it didn't work... The runner is also in the background until I either kill the task/process or click the stop (red square) button in the editor.
 
First thing to try is the standard clearing the cache, you can click the broom icon in the menu to do this.

Next thing if that doesn't work is to do an export of your project as a GMZ file, then re-import it to a fresh location and try building again.
So uh. I figured it out.

I had a while loop that was causing the game to just freeze before it even loads the window. I created a duplicate room without any objects, and moved it to the front, and it worked! Narrowed it down to the object with the while loop, changed it to an equivalent if statement and it worked. Soooooooo yeah.
 
Top