• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED (solved)(GM 1.4) A question on views

R

RaddishSoup

So, I am still using GM 1.4 and I have a question.

I want to make a game that uses something similar to my quick mockup. Essentially I want to make panes with a primary view on the left where all the game action happens and the hud will be solid on the right.

Sprite-0001.png

another example would be something like

which is from the C64 era.

Is this something that can be acheived through the use o the draw gui command and views. Or is it something that requires a bit more work. If possible I want to make it follow the player and not be a flick-screen game.

R

RaddishSoup

I know how to lay a gui but the effect I am after is actually more like panes. So the left pane has the room and the camera while the right is just for displaying info. This is then housed in the window.

woods

one way to handle this is putting you "hud" section off to the far edge of your room and use a view to display it on the side of your "main camera area"

simply creating your play space in a way that your walls keep the player from moving close enough to the hud area for it to be shown in main view

view[0] // main game window
view[1] // hud section

R

RaddishSoup

Thanks for the feedbak the pair of you. I have gone through tthe docs and such and I cant think of any other way other than to do it the way you suggested.