• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM [SOLVED] Game only starts in debug mode

L

Legacy

I was programming for a while last night and at some point I noticed that my game was no longer running in any mode other than debug.
I have tried running in Windows (YYC), Windows and creating a executable in both modes. I also made sure to clean between compiles and no errors were shown in the compiler. I have tried both Check All Scripts and Check Resource Names.

In short I cannot run the game normally or create exe's, but I can run the game in debug mode.

In case this is relevant: v1.4.1763 (r41504)

Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.

Solved:

The problem solved.

Reason was trivial, but it led to GMS' runner crash. Later I'll file a bug report.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Ting_Thing

You made an executable and the executable still runs in debug mode? That's really bizarre to my ears. Have you tried reinstalling Game Maker?

L

Legacy

You made an executable and the executable still runs in debug mode? That's really bizarre to my ears. Have you tried reinstalling Game Maker?
No sorry poor wording on my part. The executable's finish compiling but do not start. I have yet to reinstall game maker since previous builds (from several+ days ago) still run which leads me to believe it's a coding error.

L

Legacy

What happens when you trying to do this?
when I click run the game:
- The green arrow grey's out
- The compiler form run's through compiling without anything unusual
- The compiler reaches "Entering main loop." and the run the game arrow goes green again and the game doesn't start

Current build looks like this at the end of the compile form:

Entering main loop.
Compile finished: 12:15:06 AM

While older builds look like this when run:

Entering main loop.
---------------------------------------------------------------
minFPS, maxFPS, avgFPS
-83333, 4504, -41637
Compile finished: 12:08:51 AM

Edit: When run in debug mode on the current build and on older one's I get this in the compile form and the game runs:

Entering main loop.
...Waiting for debugger to connect...
Client(-1) Connected: 127.0.0.1
Debugger connected
Debug_SendGameStructure: packet size 533988
minFPS, maxFPS, avgFPS
-16393, 69, -8167
Compile finished: 12:22:17 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

TheouAegis

Do you have a recursive script or a series of scripts that called back upon each other? If GM doesn't catch a recursion error, it will just shut down on its own will you run the program. That's one thing to look out for. But since we know nothing about your project, We have no idea what is actually causing the error.

L

Legacy

Do you have a recursive script or a series of scripts that called back upon each other? If GM doesn't catch a recursion error, it will just shut down on its own will you run the program. That's one thing to look out for. But since we know nothing about your project, We have no idea what is actually causing the error.
I have a few recursive scripts however correct me if I'm wrong here but if it were one of those wouldn't the game crash in debug mode as well?
The project itself is somewhat large at this point so I'd like to avoid posting information that isn't useful. What kind of information about the project would be useful?

Paskaler

I've experienced this kind of thing before and it was always an infinite loop. As it was mentioned before a recursive script can be the culprit as well. Though, I don't have a clue as to why it runs in debug mkde.

L

Legacy

I tried reinstalling game maker a couple minutes ago, unfortunately the game still doesn't start

GMWolf

aka fel666
I tried reinstalling game maker a couple minutes ago, unfortunately the game still doesn't start
I would recommend finding the big sections of you startup routines, and adding some debug messages at the start of each, see where it stops.
When you have identified the first "big block" of code where the problem is, divide that one up with debug messages and run again.
repeat the process until you find where it is you program crashes.

M

MishMash

Have you tried clearing the cache? (Pressing the brush icon?) It could be the case that for some reason something is corrupted.

When you say it works in debug mode, do you mean it opens and functions normally, as from those console outputs, it looks like the debug one opens, then closes straight away again? (Or are you manually closing it?)

Also, random note, probably not the issue but if you are on YYC, running in debug mode does not use YYC, that's the only situation i've seen before where something works in debug but not in regular (because its two different environments)

L

Legacy

Have you tried clearing the cache? (Pressing the brush icon?) It could be the case that for some reason something is corrupted.

When you say it works in debug mode, do you mean it opens and functions normally, as from those console outputs, it looks like the debug one opens, then closes straight away again? (Or are you manually closing it?)

Also, random note, probably not the issue but if you are on YYC, running in debug mode does not use YYC, that's the only situation i've seen before where something works in debug but not in regular (because its two different environments)
I have tried clearing the cache, And yes when run in debug mode the game opens and functions normally. As for the console outputs I was manually closing it in debug.
I read about debug mode not using YYC in another thread however I thought it might be relevant to mention that the game now neither runs in Windows or Windows (YYC) normally but did in the past.

T

Ting_Thing

I'd be curious to take a look at your game files if you are comfortable sending them to me via. private message.

L

Legacy

I'd be curious to take a look at your game files if you are comfortable sending them to me via. private message.
Done. I'm very reluctant to do this but If anyone else would like to take a look please let me know

L

Legacy

What was the problem?
I'm not sure what the problem was, but there was a room that the game went into upon launch to set resolution and there was an object in that room that wasn't supposed to be in said room. Removing the object fixed the error.
Dmi7ry could probably explain it better

Dmi7ry

Exact reason is unknown yet. In progress. The object does very many things (creates many other objects, etc)(and there are mixed code with buttons there - looking into it may be dangerous for mental health :D ), so it will take some time.
There is one difficult thing: in debug mode it works fine. So I can't just get debugger, trace it step-by-step and find the cause.

Also there was disabled splash screen and when game crashed, it showed nothing. No any messages, errors, etc. With enabled splash screen, it shows error and "send report to Microsoft" message.

P.S. I also reproduced the crash on GMS2.