• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android [SOLVED] Game "has stopped" at startup

S

Sydrik

I am using GM:S 1 Professional Edition 1.4.9999 and have a licensed Android module. I had compiled Android games before but now am not able to (granted, my laptop had previously crashed and I reinstalled GM:S all over again).

Completed making an Android game and I can even compile it and install it in Android devices. However, when I start the app, I see the default GameMaker splash screen, and the app crashes. I have tried my app on multiple Android devices and the results are the same.

I've tried using the following default settings:

upload_2018-10-19_23-24-56.png

Also had tried the following (just ignore the 23.1.1 Support Library bit. In reality I made sure it was 28.0.0. Ignore the different package name as compared to the above screenshot because I tried compiling two apps):

Have ensured that the relevant SDK platforms are installed: API Level 28, 26, 23, 17, 15, 13, 8, 7. I don't know why I needed to install those older APIs but I watched a tutorial and this was the recommendation.

I've even tried creating a game with only one room. No Google Ad, In-Game Purchase etc... just plain vanilla game app. Tested running the games as Windows games and they run fine. But not when I tried to compile them into an Android app, they crash at startup. The only message I get on the Android devices are that the game has stopped at startup.

If it helps, I have tested the game on a Samsung Galaxy 8, Galaxy 9 and Xiaomi Note 4.

Tried compiling with YYC but my Visual Studio 2017 doesn't seem to be compatible with GM:S 1 (or does it? The forum posts seem to be most updated to Visual Studio 14).

Had gone through many forum threads, but am not getting anywhere. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NeonBits

in the new update, this was mentionned:
Known Issues

iOS and macOS Entitlements for IAPs and Game Center are not being set correctly in Xcode during builds, so you need to enable these manually when doing Create Exe
For UWP YYC builds, you must have the old Windows SDK 10.0.10240.0 as well as our stated minimum, as Visual Studio 2015 expects Windows SDK 10.0.10240.0 to be installed
Some audio devices can cause the runner to take longer than normal to initialise when running projects, so you might need to disable these temporarily
Monitors with refresh rates higher than 60hz can cause timing issues on Windows, games run more slowly than expected on these devices
Android NDK 17b above is not supported and neither is ARM64 package builds
dunno if it's related...

S

Sydrik

Alas, the price I paid for not referring to the release notes.

Thanks @NeonBits. You are right. I downloaded and now use NDK 16c (the only available NDK 17 on Android's website is 17c), 32-bit, and Windows SDK 10.0.10240.0 and compile it with YYC. I still cannot get it to run on Android devices without compiling with YYC though, but it doesn't matter now. Big thanks.

N

NeonBits

Hah! Thanks to you for the link; I still haven't done anything to install the android option; feels so complicated; dunno if it's everything I need but now I have one piece of the puzzle. wow almost 1g.

S

Sydrik

Yea man. I think it is.

Hey write here again if you encounter any trouble setting up.