GameMaker [SOLVED} Font Size - How do I enlarge fonts?

E

EricR175

Hello,

This is only my second post so far since starting to use Gamemaker Studio 2, which I love. I'm trying to learn as much as I can without help so that I remember things that I discover. I always find that if you discover things on your own, you will remember better.

However, I want to draw text, which I already know how to do :), but I also want to manipulate the size of the font. I know all of the font functions like color and draw, however, is there a way to size the font?

I know it will only draw basic fonts from the computer unless I include a font which needs permission from the font owner.

Do I have to use number sprites and do more coding? I'm pretty sure that I can code it to use sprites as numbers but I would rather just use arial.

ZeDuval

You need to add the font with the specific size to the resource tree individually for every size you want to use(as far as I know?!).
Let's say you want Arial 10,12 and 14, add the 3 fonts to your project and name them fn_arial10, fn_arial12,...
In the beginning of your game, initialize a global var:
Code:
global.current_font = "fn_arial"; // string
Create 2 scripts:
Code:
/// draw_set_font_ext(font,size) // string,real
global.current_font = "fn_"+argument[0];
if argument_count==2 draw_set_size(argument[1]);
Code:
/// draw_set_size(size) // real
var font = asset_get_index(global.current_font+string(argument0));
if font_exists(font){
  draw_set_font(font);
  return true;
}
Then you can use it like this in the Draw event:
Code:
draw_set_font_ext("arial",10);
draw_text(32,32,"Small");
draw_set_size(14);
draw_text(32,64,"Large");
The idea isn't perfect or finished but it's a start to build on and meant more as an inspiration. ;) I still need to finish and release an extension of mine based on this concept + bold, italic,...

S

Samwiz1

You need to add the font with the specific size to the resource tree individually for every size you want to use(as far as I know?!).
Let's say you want Arial 10,12 and 14, add the 3 fonts to your project and name them fn_arial10, fn_arial12,...
In the beginning of your game, initialize a global var:
Code:
global.current_font = "fn_arial"; // string
Create 2 scripts:
Code:
/// draw_set_font_ext(font,size) // string,real
global.current_font = "fn_"+argument[0];
if argument_count==2 draw_set_size(argument[1]);
Code:
/// draw_set_size(size) // real
var font = asset_get_index(global.current_font+string(argument0));
if font_exists(font){
  draw_set_font(font);
  return true;
}
Then you can use it like this in the Draw event:
Code:
draw_set_font_ext("arial",10);
draw_text(32,32,"Small");
draw_set_size(14);
draw_text(32,64,"Large");
The idea isn't perfect or finished but it's a start to build on and meant more as an inspiration. ;) I still need to finish and release an extension of mine based on this concept + bold, italic,...

Hi. I found this page because i had a similar problem, and because i'm trying to get textbox text to change fontsize even while it's still printing i thought i'd give it a shot. But this is a GMS2 thread, and there's no draw_set_size string?...
If you could clarify on that or maybe point me in the direction of how to get that in my gamemaker 2 i'd appreciate it, because i need what you typed to work :p

and there's no draw_set_size string?
If you read that post a bit closer you will see that the "draw_set_size" is a script that they have clearly shown in the post you quoted. @ZeDuval even shows exactly what you need to do to get it to work: create 3 fonts at different sizes, then create the scripts and then use them in the Draw Event.