GMS 2 SOLVED: draw text shadow z-fighting in 3D

Discussion in 'Programming' started by foreverisbetter, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM.

1. foreverisbetter

foreverisbetter Member

Hello,

I'm working on a 2D platformer but I decided for parts of the menu to be 3D. It used to be everything 2D but now I want to show a simple 3D Model in the background and also use the perspective view to get a nice parallax effect.
    The Problem is: up until now, I used the following script to draw text shadow
    Code:
    //draw text shadow
    draw_set_color(argument10);
    draw_set_alpha(argument11);
    draw_text_ext_transformed(xx+lengthdir_x(sh_len, sh_dir),
                        yy+lengthdir_y(sh_len, sh_dir), string_hash_to_newline(str),
                        sep, w, xscale, yscale, angle
                        );

//draw text
    draw_set_color(prev_col);
    draw_set_alpha(prev_alpha);
    draw_text_ext_transformed(xx, yy, string_hash_to_newline(str), sep, w,
                        xscale, yscale, angle
                        );
    Now this code introduces z-fighting. And I can't wrap my head around how to draw text from the same object to another depth/layer in the new layer system.
    Do I have to draw the text to a surface then change it to a texture and then draw the texture to a primitive and then draw the primitive at the right z location?
    What would be the best approach? How does one tackle this problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Turn off z_testing for this section of code and re enable it again afterwards. :)

foreverisbetter likes this.
  3. foreverisbetter

foreverisbetter Member

oh. my. god. I totally forgot that there is something like turning off z_testing! XD

Lonewolff likes this.
  4. foreverisbetter

foreverisbetter Member

Thanks so much for your answer! Do you know if there is any difference between gpu_set_zwriteenable and gpu_set_ztestenable? Does one break the vertex batch and the other doesn't or something?

Lonewolff likes this.
  5. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Good question. I am pretty sure gpu_zwriteenable turns on the z buffer and gpu_set_ztestenable performs the actual z testing.

And yes, I am confident that it will break the batch as it is a state change on the GPU. The overhead would be minimal though.

foreverisbetter likes this.