• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM [SOLVED] deleting sprites and REALLY getting rid of them?

Mr Errorz

after deleting some sprites in my proj, and cleaning the cache,
i see they no longer appear in the texture group image if i look at it,
however, when i look in the project's folder under sprites,
i see the sprites are still there [both GM file and images].
so, question is,
did i actually not get rid of the sprites by deleting them from the project?
if i want to really rid of them, do i need to delete them myself from the project's folder?
is there even a difference if i do so or not seeing that they are not part of the texture group no more?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
They aren't part of the build anymore, they are just there in case you want to undo the delete and load them back.

If you don't want this behaviour, go to File > Preferences > General tab and check "Delete from resource tree deletes from disk". Personally, I use source control and have no use for that nonsense. That box was checked the day I got it set up and stayed that way.

marasovec

Sprite images will stay in the sprite folder if you just delete them from the resource tree. It's like a backup. But only sprites in the source tree will appear in the compiled game files. So if you have 50 sprites and you remove 20 of them from the resource tree only 30 are compiled and used in the game.