1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Code [SOLVED] Debugging errors in a released game | -output parameter alternatives

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by matharoo, May 17, 2019 at 3:58 PM.

1. matharoo

matharoo Udemy Instructor

Heya.

I really like the `-output` command line parameter. It puts all my console logs into a text file, along with the errors, which just makes debugging very easy.

The problem is that I can't use that feature in a released game, as it's very slow. The docs say that the file is open and closed on each write, so if it slows down the game by a lot which is just unacceptable.

I thought of making a custom logging feature, but that still wouldn't log the error output.

What solution do you suggest for this problem? It's really hard to debug errors without the -output feature. Especially in a multiplayer game - I need to know exactly what events they received right before the error showed up.

2. matharoo

matharoo Udemy Instructor

rIKmAN likes this.