• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker [Solved]creating a Main Menu

Hello everybody
Anyway. How would you go about creating a menu system with GML?
It should have Start which leads to level select 1 - 10
(If the user exits the app, the game should save his progress automatically)
And a quit game button which is easy to program.
I think load and save game would be a little too complex for a simple little platformer I am making, hehe..
Cheers!

FoxxiLoxi

It depends. You can design your main screen with the Start and Exit game then have the start go to another room or simulate a popup for them to select a level.
Some people make an invisible object whose job is to handle the functionality of certain things. If you want to see if the mouse clicked on an object in GML you check for mouse click and would use
position_meeting(x,y,id).

This talks about saving-https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/miscellaneous/game_save.html

so you can use that feature before telling the game to quit.

But what have you scripted so far?

It depends. You can design your main screen with the Start and Exit game then have the start go to another room or simulate a popup for them to select a level.
Some people make an invisible object whose job is to handle the functionality of certain things. If you want to see if the mouse clicked on an object in GML you check for mouse click and would use
position_meeting(x,y,id).

This talks about saving-https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/miscellaneous/game_save.html

so you can use that feature before telling the game to quit.

But what have you scripted so far?
What is scripted? Is it programmed?

Z

zendraw

you can go however you want about menus and dont care about systematics and such optimisations, since its not a gameplay thing. the only thing you must consider how easy will you be able to further add options into your menu.

ofcorse its better to make a system, but since your new its not a big problem. have fun.

Yes, what have you programmed so far for your Menu??
an object called oMenu
with create event, step event, draw event, key press - enter
images with content uploaded, might be easier...
I don't know- how would I make a Start game button lead into those maps AKA simulate pop up
I could make a button for each level/map but that would make my menu look like crabby

Attachments

R

Raphael Caloz

an object called oMenu
with create event, step event, draw event, key press - enter
images with content uploaded, might be easier...
I don't know- how would I make a Start game button lead into those maps AKA simulate pop up
I could make a button for each level/map but that would make my menu look like crabby
Edit the scr_title_menu script to dictate which menu option does what.

PlayerOne

I'll throw my 2 cents in and link to a video that uses a similar method to what you're using. Maybe it will help.