• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED] Copyright Question

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Hello community.

Is the song "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" from "The Sound of Music" licensed in such a way that I could include a recordining of it in a game project, that I would distribute free and ad-free (I will be making no money from this game, not even donations)? I don't want to do it unless I know for certain that would be 100% legal. I've tried looking it up and haven't had much luck. I don't mean using an official recording, but people I know in real life singing it, rather.

Thanks in advance.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This isn't a GM "technical issue". So let's discuss it here in Game Design.

The simple answer is you may not use / distribute that song (even your own rendition) without permission from the copyright owners. Both Rogers and Hammerstein are dead now, so the copyright is owned by someone else. Probably a studio, or maybe by their heirs.

Either way, copyrights for music written in the US between 1922 and 1978 stay in place for 95 years after publication date -- unless special efforts are made to renew the copyright. This song was published in 1959. So it's still protected.

C

CedSharp

This isn't a GM "technical issue". So let's discuss it here in Game Design.

The simple answer is you may not use / distribute that song (even your own rendition) without permission from the copyright owners. Both Rogers and Hammerstein are dead now, so the copyright is owned by someone else. Probably a studio, or maybe by their heirs.

Either way, copyrights for music written in the US between 1922 and 1978 stay in place for 95 years after publication date -- unless special efforts are made to renew the copyright. This song was published in 1959. So it's still protected.
+1 for the additional information rather than just "no".

Genetix

Here is some general advice for the situation - track down who actually owns the resource. Many times they will have a website or other location that provides copyright and use information. A lot of times you may find a statement that clearly allows you to use it, or request permission.

Here is one last tip - If you ever release a game, make sure that you do have a press kit available somewhere - and if so, feel free to give others full access to use your game for videos etc. (Unless you have a reason not to) - that is a great way to help journalists and game reviewers give your project attention.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Thanks guys. I will try to find a way to contact the copyright owners, and if I can't find them, I'll call it quits.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Thanks guys. I will try to find a way to contact the copyright owners...
In this case, it's very easy. Rogers and Hammerstein's copyrights and song catalog are managed by a foundation set up for just this purpose. They also promote other musical theater groups that perform R&H music. Their website is here.

At the top banner, there's a link for "license request", where you can apply for permission to use their material. No guarantee you'll get it -- but it's easy to request.