• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [SOLVED] Code Editor Unable to Newline/Enter

R

Ryan F Mercer

I've been playing around in GM2 for a few weeks now and just ran into a problem I've never encountered before. I was editing a project and attempted to paste text from one script to another -- something I've done countless times now -- when instead of pasting the text, it locked up the editor. After a few key mashes it appeared to work again, but it still wouldn't let me paste text. Then I realized it won't let me create a new line. I can edit an existing line, but the enter key does nothing. So I tried restarting GM, then I tried deleting the script and creating a new one, and none of that worked. I had just downloaded an update file but hadn't installed it yet, so I uninstalled the old version and installed the newest one. Doesn't matter. I can open a new IDE and start a new project, but none of the code windows will allow me to use the enter key.

My enter key is working just fine in this forum edit window, so... what's going on?

Also, I can delete lines then undo to put it back, but no new lines.

Preferences > Restore Defaults, doesn't fix it.
Layouts > Reset Layout, doesn't fix it.
Computer reboot, doesn't fix it.

I was hoping to do some coding today, but the IDE is currently unusable, even after reinstall.

Browser > Account > Settings > Sessions > Revoke Session, then login, doesn't fix it.

Hmm... I figured something out. Earlier I had set Preferences > Text Editors > Code Editor > Document Line Limit to 1 to see what it did. Then I set it back to -1 for unlimited, but it appears to still be stuck on 1, because when I set it to 20, I can create new lines again. Setting it back to -1 again, or even restoring defaults doesn't set it back to unlimited. It shows as -1, but it no longer behaves that way.

I guess the temporary workaround is to set it to a very large number, but I have to wonder where this data is stored that a full reinstallation doesn't fix it.

I have submitted a bug report, but I was struck by the fact that there is nothing I can upload to demonstrate the problem. A youtube video perhaps? *sigh*

I'll mark this as solved once the bug has been fixed, not before.

Huh... found a better solution. The original setting was -1, which no longer works for unlimited. But as it turns out, zero does still work as unlimited. That's a solution, not a workaround, so I'll mark this as solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ryan F Mercer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech support has been very responsive and I wanted to give a final update on my findings, in brief.

In Preferences > Text Editors > Code Editor > Document Line Limit, the default is -1. The label text says "(<=0 no limit)," but after changing that number to 1, then back to -1, it no longer functions as unlimited. Changing the limit to anything greater than -1 will still work as intended. Changing it to zero still works for unlimited. Preferences > Restore defaults, will set it to zero, but I didn't realize that when I tried it because I assumed the Restore defaults button was a global restore, when in fact it is menu specific. The preferences data is retained upon reinstall, so that doesn't fix it. **Ultimately, the only real issue is that the initial value is -1 instead of 0 and the label text says less than zero is valid when in fact it isn't.** I suspect the initial -1 in the preferences is only text data associated with the user interface and that the actual value in the program is 0 from the start, thus -1 appears to work until you try to change it.

Last edited by a moderator: