• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[solved]Carry a number between rooms

N

Noobc0re

I have a number that happens in one room, then in the next room I need to show it.

How do I bring it over?

M

MishMash

Global variables are the easiest way to do this. If you are using gml, you can simply put

global.

infront of your variable name. For example:

Code:
global.value = 10;
This will maintain its value throughout the life of your game.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Noobc0re

Global variables are the easiest way to do this. If you are using gml, you can simply put

global.

infront of your variable name. For example:

[ROOM]global.value = 10; [/ROOM]

This will maintain its value throughout the life of your game.
That doesn't work though.

M

Mishtiff

It is also possible to create an object that is persistant, and store all of your variables that you need throughout your game in this object.

ex name
obj_gameVars

M

Mholmes3038

My recomendation would be create a properties class to store all your global variables. I'm a c# dev so I'm not sure if GML supports it but I think it does support properties. Anyway, a global variable is a variable you can access anywhere in game. Common global would be a player lives count or player score. Any value that you need to access through out your entire game. If you need a better explanation of global variables, I recomend researching how properties work in the .Net framework on the MSDN forums. I hope that helps.

S

Super_Alchemist1

I have a number that happens in one room, then in the next room I need to show it.

How do I bring it over?
I am having the same issue. However despite following the information on this page, I can't use gml tips as this is a DnD game. I have tried using global variables and whenever i need to use them it comes up with, ERROR, global. has not been set before reading it, despite me setting and checking the global variable.