• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [Solved] Can't get project to run - infuriating windows crash

M

mizzy

Hey folks,
I am trying to get GMS2 to run on an older laptop of mine and could use some help. Here is the history:
  • Fresh install of windows 7, 8gb of ram / amd video card
  • game maker installs without issue
  • the editor runs fine, however when i press Run on a project, even if that project is completely empty, the game client crashes. I have no compile errors, I have no useful error message from windows either (not sure if there is a crash log somewhere that might be helpful?)
  • I've uninstalled / re-installed GMS2 (deleting stuff in appdata before reinstalling)
  • I've installed .net framework 4.7 for windows 7 sp1 (because another forum post around here suggested it for another issue and i thought it might help)
  • I am at the latest update on master (IDE v2.2.1.375)
  • I always run GMS2 in administrator mode (thought it might be a permissions thing)
  • I still get the crash
  • I flip the table

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Are you using a hardware or software renderer? A bug was just discovered with certain software render solutions and should be fixed in the next update (see here for details).

M

mizzy

Are you using a hardware or software renderer? A bug was just discovered with certain software render solutions and should be fixed in the next update (see here for details).
Hmm, I don't think so. I'm running off a fresh windows install with no additional 3rd party software other than GM and chrome.... But, on second thought, I did download AMD drivers... I'll try removing those and see.

Removing AMD drivers didnt help, and neither did uninstalling my antivirus (avast).
I managed to figure out where windows keeps its software crash logs (start>events>looked for error log that occurred at the same time as the crash)
The exception that was thrown was 0xc0000005 which a search tells me occurs because "of a race condition. When a thread tries to close the handle to an object that is being destroyed, the operation fails."
Seems it might be an issue with windows 7 sp1? The hotfix is no longer available so now I'm now installing all optional windows updates.. hopefully the fix is in there.

I'm still open to suggestions as to other routes to explore for possible fixes!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mizzy

windows is fully updated, and the issue persists
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so much for making games sitting on my couch ^_^ (at least for now)

Just to add a few more details in case someone else has a similar problem:
I did find a post on the game maker subreddit where someone was describing the same issue as me and recommended to report the bug.
My specific error log says this:
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          18/01/2019 1:51:28 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MyPCsName
Description:
Faulting application name: Runner.exe, version: 99.99.99.99, time stamp: 0x5c07d9ae
Faulting module name: Runner.exe, version: 99.99.99.99, time stamp: 0x5c07d9ae
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0021c766
Faulting process id: 0xf74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4af5ed0145dea
Faulting application path: X:\windows\Runner.exe
Faulting module path: X:\windows\Runner.exe
Report Id: 0fb3a138-1b52-11e9-bb49-f4a6a69cc5b2
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-01-18T18:51:28.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1790</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MyPCsName</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Runner.exe</Data>
    <Data>99.99.99.99</Data>
    <Data>5c07d9ae</Data>
    <Data>Runner.exe</Data>
    <Data>99.99.99.99</Data>
    <Data>5c07d9ae</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0021c766</Data>
    <Data>f74</Data>
    <Data>01d4af5ed0145dea</Data>
    <Data>X:\windows\Runner.exe</Data>
    <Data>X:\windows\Runner.exe</Data>
    <Data>0fb3a138-1b52-11e9-bb49-f4a6a69cc5b2</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
I am going to report the issue and hopefully one day I can dream of not having to make games in my basement (but in the living room!! its the dream!) ^_^

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I think at this stage you'd be best filing a bug report and requesting assistance... Make sure to link this topic and supply all the info you can about your system etc... Oh, one thing you COULD try is rolling back the runtimes and seeing if a previous runtime works (from the Prefs > Runtime section). You could also sign into the Beta channel and see if the Beta runtimes work.

M

mizzy

Oh, one thing you COULD try is rolling back the runtimes and seeing if a previous runtime works (from the Prefs > Runtime section). You could also sign into the Beta channel and see if the Beta runtimes work.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll give it a try

M

mizzy

Sadly IDE rollback is a no go :(
Game client wont even launch. I get this error after the compile completes:
Code:
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe DONE (0)
Release build
Missing or corrupt GameMaker build tools : 0x4F030002
elapsed time 00:00:04.1300733s for command "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.200/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\Overlord\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run started at 01/19/2019 16:25:24
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0600001s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 01/19/2019 16:25:28
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0600001s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 01/19/2019 16:25:29
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0600001s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 01/19/2019 16:25:29
FAILED: Run Program Complete

S

SamSam

Hi Mizzy,

I mainly use GMS2 with Windows7 and I have the same issue when there are too many softwares running on the computer. When I close some of them I can open GMS2 and then run back the softwares I closed, and everything works fine.

I don't know why though. Maybe it is the way GMS uses multi-core processing when initializing. I have an 8 cores AMD with 3.61Ghz, pretty powerful, but I still get this issue from time to time.

I hope this will help a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mizzy

there are too many softwares running on the computer. When I close some of them I can open GMS2 and then run back the softwares I closed, and everything works fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect my problem may be a bit different as the only software I have installed is game maker.
I even tried installing old school game maker and got a direct X error. Thinking I my direct x was out of date, hope of a solution was kindled until I discovered that I had the latest direct x installed.
In any case, the bug report was filed. It may very well be a hardware issue, but I’ll wait and see if my ticket gets a reply first.
/crosses fingers

rIKmAN

Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect my problem may be a bit different as the only software I have installed is game maker.
I even tried installing old school game maker and got a direct X error. Thinking I my direct x was out of date, hope of a solution was kindled until I discovered that I had the latest direct x installed.
In any case, the bug report was filed. It may very well be a hardware issue, but I’ll wait and see if my ticket gets a reply first.
/crosses fingers
Have a check of your UI.log and see if you spot anything in there that may be relevent.

You can find it in Help > Open Log In Explorer and it might be worth deleting it (or backing it up) and then opening GMS2 and reproducing the error so that you get a clean log rather than a massive list accumulated from previous running of the IDE.

If you haven't already - then go and attach that fresh log to the bug report you made to help YYG work out what the problem might be.

@SamSam
You really don't need to use large text, bold fonts and colours in every post you make.
The forum rules say to use those things sparingly for emphasis, which is kinda lost when you use it every sentence.

M

mizzy

I have managed to solve my issue!
I made a bug report, and the conclusion was the same as the first reply to this thread: the windows graphic driver engine bug was causing the issue. I found this to be a great learning experience as I had no idea what WARP was (windows advanced rasterization platform) and I had no idea how an onboard graphics worked (live and learn!)
Anyways, I dove deep into the internet and managed to find a proper AMD driver for this old laptop, and am now up and running.
Thanks again to all who helped me out! :)
~ Cheers