• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX [SOLVED] Can I install GMS2 Mac IDE on a friend's computer?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

We've been having serious trouble trying to port my games to Mac and this would make the process a whole lot easier. What we did in the past was I would bring my Windows 7 laptop to his house and build using his Mac through a crossover cable, which is obviously fine because only I have access to my GMS license because it is on my Windows 7 laptop and not his Mac.

I was wondering if as long as I only port my own games to Mac, if I could install the Mac IDE on his computer, login to GMS2 long enough to build for Mac, then logout when I am done so my friend still has zero access to my license? Is this allowed? I will be the only one sitting at the chair, he will just be there to help me port my games as we go over the online tutorial of how to build for Mac using the new IDE. I won't show him my password or anything. I just want to easily port my games to Mac, since I own the Desktop edition, and I can have the IDE logged in on (at most) 3 machines. He doesn't even like GameMaker or have any interest to use it, even if he happened to get my password through a keyloggger, which he wouldn't do.

Is this ok or against the rules somehow?

Dog Slobber

GMS 1.4 had a paragraph in the EULA specifically stating you culd only install it on three computers that you owned.

GMS 2, seems to have removed that clause, but have a statement on their FAQ page.

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230330328-GameMaker-Studio-2-FAQ

How many computers can I install GameMaker Studio 2 on?

You can have GameMaker Studio 2 installed (and be logged in) on 3 concurrent devices.
My interpretation is it would be OK, so long as you take steps so your friend can't use it. This can be done by logging out of the IDE when your done.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

My interpretation is it would be OK, so long as you take steps so your friend can't use it. This can be done by logging out of the IDE when your done.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I'm going to wait from an official response from the staff before I go doing it though, just to be sure. Although, they are probably super busy so it's probably not a good idea to tag them in something stupid like this. If they see this post, great. If they don't, whatever. lol

L

Lonewolff

How many computers can I install GameMaker Studio 2 on?

You can have GameMaker Studio 2 installed (and be logged in) on 3 concurrent devices.
I just figured the wording on that link was just 'loose'. I thought it was on three computers that you owned.

But, I can't even find any reference to this in any of the YYG EULA's.

So going by the link provided, you can share it around as you wish. Which I am sure is not YYG's intention there.

@Nocturne?

rIKmAN

I just figured the wording on that link was just 'loose'. I thought it was on three computers that you owned.

But, I can't even find any reference to this in any of the YYG EULA's.

So going by the link provided, you can share it around as you wish. Which I am sure is not YYG's intention there.

@Nocturne?
The "computers that you own" wording was totally unenforceable anyway and was a silly way of putting things in the old EULA.
I think the current licence means any 3 computers concurrently where you are the user, as the licence is basically a single seat just for the licence owner.

I'm not sure how the current wording could be interpreted as "shared around as you wish" though as that makes it sound like you can buy 1 licence and let a team of 3 use it - which definitely isn't the case from what I've seen in previous threads.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yeah, that's why I had to ask. Sounds a bit of a risk, I mean sure my friend may be trustworthy and have zero interest in GMS, but literally anyone could say they would be doing something like this and could really be giving the software around.

L

Lonewolff

I'm not sure how the current wording could be interpreted as "shared around as you wish" though as that makes it sound like you can buy 1 licence and let a team of 3 use it - which definitely isn't the case from what I've seen in previous threads.
I'm not sure how the current wording could couldn't be interpreted as "shared around as you wish".

Have you honestly tried to code three different projects on three different computers at the same time? I haven't.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I don't know guys. I guess we'll see what Nocturne says. :)

Edit:

@Ghost in the IDE sometimes you need multiple work stations. It's convenient to have the software installed, (and logged in), on multiple computers. In fact, that's what I do with v1.4. I have it on my upstairs computer, my downstairs, and my laptop.

rIKmAN

Yeah, that's why I had to ask. Sounds a bit of a risk, I mean sure my friend may be trustworthy and have zero interest in GMS, but literally anyone could say they would be doing something like this and could really be giving the software around.
Yeah I'd get official confirmation, but as long as it is only you doing it on the Mac, and you aren't logged in to both and active at the exact times times on a regular basis then you wouldn't need to worry I wouldn't think.

It would be pretty easy for YYG to check logs and see 1 licence being used on multiple machines / IP's at the same times etc and see that it was being abused and blacklist the key - but you wouldn't need to worry about that if the PC / Mac logins were separate individual uses.

Best get official word though to put your mind at ease.
I'm not sure how the current wording could couldn't be interpreted as "shared around as you wish".

Have you honestly tried to code three different projects on three different computers at the same time? I haven't.
No, but with the "offline use" being upto 30 days then each machine would have to stay "active" for those 30 days and so they woudl technically be "concurrent" logins - at least that's how I see it

Also the wording says "You" can have GMS installed on 3 devices - not "You and 2 friends".

L

Lonewolff

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it will be for your own use.

Also the wording says "You" can have GMS installed on 3 devices - not "You and 2 friends".
It does say "You can have GameMaker Studio 2 installed (and be logged in) on 3 concurrent devices."

Doesn't say you can't have your two friends using the other two currently logged in devices.

rIKmAN

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it will be for your own use.

It does say "You can have GameMaker Studio 2 installed (and be logged in) on 3 concurrent devices."

Doesn't say you can't have your two friends using the other two currently logged in devices.
Well I haven't read the EULA but I would assume it states somewhere that the licence is just for the owner of the licence to use the GMS software? If not they probably should to remove the technicality haha!

That tied in with the offline licencing stuff and "3 concurrent devices" leads to it being for the licence holder on 3 different machines at a time (without the licences rolling over and removing the oldest one to keep it at 3 "valid" logins).

See what Noc says I guess, though I think the common sense answer we have all come to is the right one.

L

Lonewolff

Yeah, I'd say so.

Usually they pass all this crap around the legal team so there is absolutely no misinterpretation.

That's why I thought the wording in @Nocturne's doc must have just been 'loose'. But, as I said, I can't find any mention of it in the actual EULA any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so... I have been summoned (several times!) and here I am. The situation is this:

You are not allowed to share your account details under section 4 of the eula, i. personal use, and ii, do not distribute. So, since a GMS2 licence is locked to a user account, and the user has to be logged in to use it, then only the person that bought the licence is legally entitled to use the product. If you login and then let someone else use the product you are breaking the terms of the EULA.

All clear? I think that answers the OP too... ;)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm not letting anyone else use it other than myself, so I guess that means I can do this?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Okay, so... I have been summoned (several times!) and here I am. The situation is this:

You are not allowed to share your account details under section 4 of the eula, i. personal use, and ii, do not distribute. So, since a GMS2 licence is locked to a user account, and the user has to be logged in to use it, then only the person that bought the licence is legally entitled to use the product. If you login and then let someone else use the product you are breaking the terms of the EULA.

All clear? I think that answers the OP too... ;)
I'm still not clear on this. If I am the one logged in, not my friend, I'm just simply using his mac to port my game with the mac IDE? I intend to log out as soon as I am done, that is, if this is allowed. But again, I don't understand whether it is.

rIKmAN

I'm still not clear on this. If I am the one logged in, not my friend, I'm just simply using his mac to port my game with the mac IDE? I intend to log out as soon as I am done, that is, if this is allowed. But again, I don't understand whether it is.
Re-read Nocturne's post, he already answered and made it clear that in those circumstances its fine.
Just don't let your friend use it or leave him logged in when you are finished.

Probably best to uninstall GMS2, unplug the PC, smash his screen and run off with his machine just to be safe... :D