[Solved] Calculating Velocity

C

ChaosX2

Hello,

I'm having trouble setting up the pursuit steering behavior to fit my situation. I need to know my players velocity and the player is controlled via arrow keys and I'm not sure how to calculate the player's velocity since I'm not using a steering behavior to propel it in any way. I tried something along the lines of...

Code:
steering = scr_vect2(0,0);

steering = scr_vect_add(steering, scr_vect2(x,y));

velocity = scr_vect_add(velocity, scr_vect_subtract(position, steering));

position = scr_vect_add(position, velocity);
I also thought about using the formula of change in position / time, but I'm not sure how to do that or if it's even the right approach :x Can someone enlighten me?

NightFrost

Player velocity is a vec2 assigned with x and y positional change calculated during the step. That is, vec2(delta x, delta y).

C

ChaosX2

Thanks for the reply! I was taking a crack at it before I left for work this morning xD The pursuit behavior still has shaky results. It's probably the code within the behavior script itself but what I did so far was....

Code:
//Begin Step Event
xprevious = x;
yprevious = y;

//Step Event
velocity = vect_subtract(vect2(x, y), vect2(xprevious, yprevious));

NightFrost

Pursue behavior should work like this: take the distance between pursuer and player, divide by pursuer's max velocity and call the result a scalar or something. Calculate player's predicted position by multiplying player velocity vector by said scalar and add it to their position vector. The resulting vector is the destination that pursuer should seek towards. In pseudocode
Code:
scalar = (length of (player position vector - pursuer position vector)) / pursuer max speed
pursuit target vector = player position vector + (player velocity vector * scalar)
call seek behavior for pursuing agent with pursuit target vector as destination vector
Further, in my experience, a steering behavior agent is best constructed as a state machine.

C

ChaosX2

Thanks again for the help! I am indeed using a combination of steering behaviors and finite state machines :) I made adjustments to my code and it works.

The velocity formula has been adjusted to divide by time since it's not frame dependent.

Code:
velocity = vect_divR(vect_subtract(scr_vect2(x, y), vect2(xprevious, yprevious)),  global.deltaTime);
Pursuit Behavior
Code:
var target = argument0;
var weight = argument1;

var toEvader = vect_subtract(target.position, position);

var lookAheadTime = vect_len(toEvader) / maxSpeed + (player.playerSpeed * global.deltaTime);

return seekTarget(vect_add(target.position, vect_multiplyR(target.velocity, lookAheadTime)), weight);