• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED][BUG] Precise per frame collision masks not working

G

GhostDev

In the GMS 2.3 Beta, I'm using a sprite with precise pre frame collision masks enabled:
bug1.PNG
In the draw event of the object I assigned this sprite to, I'm checking (using position_meeting) whether I'm colliding with the object at the mouse coordinates:
bug2.PNG
And although the mouse is not visible on the screenshot, I was hovering at the upper part of the sprite and it still drew "TEST" to the screen:
Screenshot (10).png
So if I'm not totally dumb and this is actually a bug, where can I report it?

EDIT: YoYoGames have confirmed that this bug will be fixed in the next GMS 2.3 Beta release

Last edited by a moderator:

HayManMarc

I don't understand how its drawing the sprite to the screen when there is no code in the draw event to draw it. Is this something new in 2.3?

So if I'm not totally dumb and this is actually a bug, where can I report it?
First post in the Beta topic: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms-2-3-0-beta-announcement.74346/post-437992
Says:
Also note that if you are already on the beta and have a question or think you have found a bug, please post on the official helpdesk forum found here: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/360000260018-GameMaker-Studio-Beta Do NOT post in this topic as there will be no official replies from YYG staff, and no bugs will be fixed unless they go through the proper channels.

G

GhostDev

I don't understand how its drawing the sprite to the screen when there is no code in the draw event to draw it. Is this something new in 2.3?
Ah sorry, was an old screenshot, I actually added draw_self() afterwards

HayManMarc

Are all those images a part of the sprite? If there is no code to stop the image_speed, is it cycling through all those images really fast and triggering the collision?

G

GhostDev

Are all those images a part of the sprite? If there is no code to stop the image_speed, is it cycling through all those images really fast and triggering the collision?
No, image speed is 0 as well. Maybe my post that said there is no more code was not 100% correct ๐Ÿ˜…

G

GhostDev

So, I did some more testing and when using a sprite with only one image, setting the collision mask to Precise works as intended, but setting it to Precise per Frame still isn't working

TheouAegis

Report it as a bug. Also, check if it works using collision_point() and multiple frames. If it does, then it's an issue with position_meeting(); if it doesn't, it's an issue with Precise For Frame.

A better alternative to using precision sprites is to essentially do with sprites what Shaun (was it Shaun?) did with tiles, populating an array with a height map for each sprite. But at that point, you may as well just switch over to using tiles. ๐Ÿ˜’

G

GhostDev

Report it as a bug. Also, check if it works using collision_point() and multiple frames. If it does, then it's an issue with position_meeting(); if it doesn't, it's an issue with Precise For Frame.

A better alternative to using precision sprites is to essentially do with sprites what Shaun (was it Shaun?) did with tiles, populating an array with a height map for each sprite. But at that point, you may as well just switch over to using tiles. ๐Ÿ˜’
Tried with collision_point() and still didn't work. Reported it now ๐Ÿ‘
Actually, I wanted to use objects to avoid needing to use height maps ๐Ÿ˜‚ my plan was to use Pixelated Pope's approach on "tile" collision as written here: https://pixelatedpope.itch.io/tdmc/devlog/156556/converting-tdmc-to-use-tiles

Actually, I wanted to use objects to avoid needing to use height maps ๐Ÿ˜‚ my plan was to use Pixelated Pope's approach on "tile" collision as written here: https://pixelatedpope.itch.io/tdmc/devlog/156556/converting-tdmc-to-use-tiles
It's strange because I ported my test project to 2.3 and it works fine. But you are definitely not the only one experiencing this problem. I've been troubleshooting it all morning for another user and it really does seem like a problem with precise per frame. Everything else I tried worked perfectly.

mrdaneeyul

I've been troubleshooting it all morning for another user
hesmeobiwan.gif

So yeah, same issue here in a much older project that I imported into the beta. I didn't think it was a beta issue since I've had so many problems with collision in general over the years, but later today I'm gonna try it out on a 2.2 project of mine and see what happens. Will let you know.

G

GhostDev

It's strange because I ported my test project to 2.3 and it works fine. But you are definitely not the only one experiencing this problem. I've been troubleshooting it all morning for another user and it really does seem like a problem with precise per frame. Everything else I tried worked perfectly.
I've got an example project here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdknx9f2zap1svy/PreciseMaskBug.zip?dl=0
YoYoGames confirmed the issue using this project and said it will be fixed in the next release.
You can try it out and see for yourself ๐Ÿ˜„

mrdaneeyul

Yeah, I sent him my project and he confirmed it was happening with mine in the beta. Glad they'll fix it in the next release!

I did confirm that the issue was not present in 2.2, for what it's worth.