• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Solved : Background+Layers not loading when building. Reward 10USD if fixed.

T

Tobbelobbe

Hey

Im using GMS2 full version on Windows 7 PC. i7 cpu 16gb ram 7970 gpu.

Ive been using GMS2 since end of last year and this has never happened before. My game consists of about 20 rooms and less than 100 objects.

When i build the game which i normally do 10-15 times every time im working on the game, the background and some other layers didnt load, (See screenshot) Its like theres nothing there at all.https://pasteboard.co/GKwpql1t.png

I have tried to clean before i run, i have cleared cache and temp folders inside properties. It happens in every room, i tried switching room order etc.

I didnt do anything special when it started happening. The first room where i have just a title screen on two layers it does not happen in. It just happens in the rooms after that. Nothing changed on the start screen for months.

I am mostly using DnD so not much code to post, i feel this is something else than a code problem tbh.

Hope i followed all the rules right now! XD

Found this, while i build game not sure if its something wierd. "ReadPNG :: a PNG error occure Pause event has been registered for this frame Pause event has been unregistered Pause event has been registered for this frame Pause event has been unregistered Pause event has been registered for this frame Pause event has been unregistered"

Offering 10USD reward for help with this, Paypal or Bitcoin. Me and my girlfriend are working nights on this game after our normal full time jobs. This got us stuck.

T

Tobbelobbe

Since its a new account i cant post the link to screenshots -.-, i posted this on reddit too with links.

It's hard to tell what is going on in that picture, which part is in error?

It does look like you are not clearing the display buffer for some layers.

upload_2017-9-16_15-47-58.png

Have you got this option ticked?

EDIT: Also for viewports, the clear viewport background:

upload_2017-9-16_15-49-14.png

T

Tobbelobbe

Hey, this was solved by Juju on discord. It was probl caused by an corrupted png file. I reloaded all PNG pictures in the rooms into GMS2 again and it stopped causing the error.

T

Toxic Sasquatch Games

Hello there,
so I've been having the same problem recently, do you think you could better explain how to fix this error?
I can't find any documentation for the "ReadPNG :: a PNG error occure"
it seems to just not exist.

My game will run sound just fine, but none of the graphics will show up.
If I rescale the texture page down to 2048x2048 the game will appear, but since everything is re-scaled, this is undesireable.

If it is the case of a corrupted PNG file, would exporting the PNG still yield the same corruption, or what can I do to fix this?
And also, I've tried removing all of the rescaled textures to see if any of them were the corruption, but it yielded no results.

If there's any solution you know to this, I'd be very grateful if you could tell me!
Thanks.

T

Tobbelobbe

Hey! I actually thought this problem was solved but it has since then occurred again.
I switched out all my background sprites for new ones. It had nothing to do with "Clear display buffer" or "clear viewport background" from what i could tell.

You are right in that there is no info at all about the error. I think there is an fundemental error in the Gamemaker Application or something that causes this. There is nothing wrong with my PNG files. We tried making new PNG files from photoshop several times and rezising them before we put them into Gamemaker etc. All the small things you just try to find the cause.

In my current project i start in one room where it just creates some global objects then instantly moves on to "Main Menu" in the main menu i had two huge sprites with 60 frames each. The second time this error started happening all the time (Sometimes it happened like, once every 5 compiles) but now it happened all the time, i removed that room from the first order and made the game jump directly to a dungeon ingame. And it stopped happening.

As you stated, the game works just fine, minus some sprites most often the background for me, but others too sometimes. Obviously this make the game totally unplayable and very frustrating to work in a tool like this. Its super frustrating because everyday i have to fight against my own limits and learn how to do more stuff, but this error is hindering our progress and without ANY documentation about this, i dont know what to do. I obviously tried reinstalling GMS2 and changing version etc.

Im not sure exactly what my texture page size is but its bigger than 2048x2048, i think 4kx4k or 8kx8k because we have huge backgrounds in some later stages (Never encountered the problem on them, then again, we never touch them while working on the first part)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please submit a bug with an example project attached - the smaller the better to show the problem. Help -> Report a bug

Russell

T

Tobbelobbe

Its easier said than done, i dont want to send in my whole project, its filled with copyrighted material. The error is hard to replicate too. It started happening when the project got bigger.

Some kind of indication on what the error actually means ""ReadPNG :: a PNG error occure" would be helpful to replicate it effectively in a new project.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
It means that an image being loaded is corrupted in some way (if you are using sprite_add or similar) OR it means that one of the texture pages we are generating from the project is corrupt.

Russell

T

Tobbelobbe

Then we can assume that its caused by the texture pages. Since i assume a PNG file which has worked for months just wont get randomly corrupted by the gamemaker application?

Is there some detailed debugmode where we can reach in detail what the application is having problem handling.

Are there some known limitations to how many sprites gamemaker2 can handle? Because we are not close to done with our game. 20% done and we are already into problems like these ; (

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
No there are no known issues around this and the only limitations are the size of memory.

If you file a bug report with the project then we can take a look and work out what the issue is, there is no customer level debug mode to analyse this easily - we treat projects that are submitted confidentially (please state that it is private in the bug report)

Russell

T

Tobbelobbe

Im not sure if you mean ram memory or free space on the disk. But i got plenty of both, 16gb ram and 30gb free space.

Okay, i will try to replicate it by adding the main menu back in the rotation of rooms and fill a bug report.

A

Almericus

I had the same issue here. I have resolved it by reducing my texture page size from 8192 x 8192 to 2048 x 2048.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yulaserio

Hello! I have the same problem. What can I do?
I just purchased GMS2 and it is sad that I can't do so much with it because of this.