• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [SOLVED] Asset Compiler Error - Instance Issue

E

Enagic

Hey! I already submited a bug report for this, but I haven't got a response in a while (I think?) so I'm trying my luck here.

After updating to the last GMS2 version this message started appearing while compiling, which says: "Reference to object isn't stablished as an instance of an object".

sdafdsa.png

So I tried compiling with YYC and it noticed some issues in my code (I don't know why those didn't pop up before), but nothing happened after fixing those. The message still appears as always.
Also, it seems that it just project-related, since creating a new one works normally and the error still shows up when trying it in another PC.
And I've tried all the classics too: debug mode, cleaning cache, reinstalling, deleting runtimes, going to a previous version (IDE and runtime), exporting and creating a new project, etc. Nothing works.

Any help is fully appreciated. Thanks in advance!

M

MarceloP

A coworker here at my company had a similar problem. We found after re-creating the project and re-importing thing by thing that, for some bizarre reason, one of his rooms was corrupted (although it would open normally at the IDE and also show everything fine). We simply created a clone (or versioned it) and removed the room. The game started working normally again.

I think that a run corrupted his room and this error would simply not happen when compiling for HTML5, so after almost months of it bugged that we noticed that he couldn't actually compile for test neither for android. Therefore we got stuck on this for quite some DAYS.

I do think this is serious and may make people lose their progress, I mean, assuming your problem is the same as ours (we had the same error message).

Try cloning your project and re-importing your resources (specially rooms), one by one, until you find the possible cause. I can't assure you that will solve your problem, but it may.

E

Enagic

Didn't work so far, sadly ): And it's kinda impossible to import one by one since importing a room imports everything that is inside it too, and that means importing other stuff to avoid code errors and such

Thanks for the help anyway! I'll keep trying with it a bit to see if I can find something~

M

MarceloP

Hello @Enagic

I have another theory/possible solution. I came across it myself when the only change I did between tests was one thing, and I got it. This problem happened to me when I UNCHECKED a box that is an object in a room. Like shown bellow. Try to re-check or actually delete those objects from your room if you're not using them.

upload_2018-6-21_16-50-57.png

This is causing this error on this runtime and, to be sincere, I haven't seen anyone figuring it out or reporting. I think you should do it, if it really solves your problem :)
But sadly that's my last hope xD

E

Enagic

Hello @Enagic

I have another theory/possible solution. I came across it myself when the only change I did between tests was one thing, and I got it. This problem happened to me when I UNCHECKED a box that is an object in a room. Like shown bellow. Try to re-check or actually delete those objects from your room if you're not using them.

View attachment 19127

This is causing this error on this runtime and, to be sincere, I haven't seen anyone figuring it out or reporting. I think you should do it, if it really solves your problem :)
But sadly that's my last hope xD
OH. MY. F*****G. GOD. DUDE.
IT WORKED!!!!!

I had a lot of those instances, specially in one of the latest rooms I made, so it made a lot of sense! I can't believe it actually worked tho hahahah
Love you dude, thanks a lot<3

M

MarceloP

That's awesome @Enagic!

Please, don't forget to submit/file a bug report for this. I mean, we finally figured it out, so I think Yoyo will appreciate very much that ticket xD