• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code [solved] Any changes in gamepads?

hdarren

In GM1.4 I have to use different functions so people can use different gamepad types. So I use the gamepad functions for xbox pads and the old joystick functions for other gamepads.

Has this changed at all?

I noticed recently that xbox pads count as both a gamepad and joystick which creates problems. So if nothing has changed am I better off ignoring the gamepad functions and using the jostick functions instead?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Ever since some certain 1.4 release, the DInput joysticks were integrated into the gamepad functions. XInput devices are gamepads numbers 0-3, and then you have 4-11 for DInput devices. This lets you not use the joystick functions at all. Note that as far as I know, you should stop using the obsolete joystick functions as they are not even available in GMS2 if I'm not mistaken. In fact, I'm in the middle of re-writing my kbinput asset because of this(and because it kind of needs a re-write to implement features I wanted).

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
Also worth mentioning is that DirectInput has been deprecated since DirectX 9 isn't present at all in newer releases.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It is technically true that Microsoft deprecated DirectInput...but it still works fine in windows 10. I think even though Microsoft has tried to deprecate it, they haven't really provided a true alternative so they can't can it just yet.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
MS would like everyone to buy XBox One gamepads and be happy with them (and use XInput) but in the real world they know that is not going to happen (Hello Flight Simulator fans).

Russell