• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[Solved] Amazon Fire Tv Stick performance?

BarrowBloke

Hi fellow gamedevs!

Does anyone have any experience with the Fire Tv Stick? - Can it do 60fps?

I'm making a fairly low res game with views and ports set to 480 * 270 (values chosen because they scale up to 1920*1080) but it seems to top out at 50 fps even though room speed is 60. And this is when there's only 1 object in the room drawing a single 32*32 sprite!

I know it's a very low power device so maybe I'm expecting a bit much from it?

BarrowBloke

Q

QuangDX

To be honest, in my experience with Game Maker Studio in general, anything but the simplest of games run best at 30fps.
And that's even on higher end devices :(

BarrowBloke

The same code works at a rock solid 60fps on Windows, Fire Tv console (not the Stick) and on OUYA.
So I'm assuming the Fire Tv Stick hardware just can't do 60fps and I'll mark this as solved.

P

PhenomenalDev

It could probably do it? I mean it's underpowered but from the description of your game it should be fine.

BarrowBloke

Apologies for necro-ing an old thread but I have found that the Fire Tv Stick can do 60fps and I thought I would update here in case the info is useful to anyone else.

My problem with it topping out at 50fps was caused by the auto negotiation between the Fire Stick and my Tv which, for some reason, decided to settle on 50Hz.
When I manually specified the display to be 1080p60 in the the Fire Stick display settings then it did become 60fps.
My tv is quite old but I knew it could do 60.

I've also discovered that GMS2 can't set the display timing method using display_set_timing_method(tm_sleep) on the Fire Stick.
Despite using this command, the Fire Stick still continued to use vsync timing.

BarrowBloke