• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED]Alarm triggered by unknown source

L

LV154

An alarm instructing the player object to destroy itself is being triggered by an unknown process. I was wondering whether there is any way to trace back where the command comes from by replacing the instance_destroy command with a return function? Are there any debug methods that address this at all?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What version of GM? You've tagged this as "legacy", but is it 8.1 or below, or 1.4? The 1.4 debugger is far better than the 8.1 one and you can use it to step through the code and see where things are going wrong... You can also do a search through your code find where you set the alarm (just search for "alarm[0]" or whatever alarm it is and see what you have that sets it).

S

Silver_Mantis

An alarm instructing the player object to destroy itself is being triggered by an unknown process. I was wondering whether there is any way to trace back where the command comes from by replacing the instance_destroy command with a return function? Are there any debug methods that address this at all?
A quick way to check is to delete the alarm. Wait for the error to show up and it should reveal what line the code is calling from.
Just add the alarm back in when you've found it.

L

LV154

What version of GM? You've tagged this as "legacy", but is it 8.1 or below, or 1.4? The 1.4 debugger is far better than the 8.1 one and you can use it to step through the code and see where things are going wrong... You can also do a search through your code find where you set the alarm (just search for "alarm[0]" or whatever alarm it is and see what you have that sets it).
Gamemaker 8.1. I will never understand why the debugger was dumbed down so much.

A quick way to check is to delete the alarm. Wait for the error to show up and it should reveal what line the code is calling from.
Just add the alarm back in when you've found it.
*facepalm*
It was that simple! Thanks for the help