GML [Solved] A script doesn't recognise a sent string as a string

X

XirmiX

of Step Event0
for object obj_textbox:

file_exists argument 1 incorrect type (0) expecting a String (YYGS)
at gml_Script_scr_register_handling (line 11) - else if file_exists(user_name)
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_register_handling (line 11)
called from - gml_Object_obj_textbox_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 16) - scr_register_handling(noone, noone, txt);

Essentially, you type in a string of characters in text boxes. There are two variables being used, both of which are, at the beginning, declared as strings. At the end of it all, only one of them gets sent off to a script, but even then, both are strings, always were, always will be. Yet, for some reason, this script doesn't recognise them as strings. Why?! Here's relevant code:

Textbox creation code:
Code:
self.selected = false;
self.max_char = 30;
self.char_written = 0;
txt = "";
tt = "";

enter_string = 0;

leftX = x - (sprite_width/2);
topY = y - (sprite_width/2);
rightX = x + (sprite_width/2);
bottomY = y + (sprite_height/2);
Textbox draw event code:
Code:
draw_self();
draw_set_colour(c_lime);
//draw_text(x-56, y, txt);

if self.selected == true
{
    tt = keyboard_string;//set keyboard string to a temp var
    //make sure it doesnt go over the desired length
    if (string_length(tt) > 30)
    {
        //if it does go over we set it back to the correct length
        keyboard_string = string_copy(tt, 1, 30);
        txt = tt;
    }
    //these are just to update text variable (this is the variable to hold the key string value)
    var update_keys = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_backspace) || keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter);
    if (update_keys)
    {
        txt = tt;
    }
    txt = tt;
    draw_text(x-56, y, tt);//draw the text
}
else
{
    draw_text(x-56, y, txt);//this is the text when not selected
}
Textbox step event code:
Code:
///Checking instance id for sending text where needed
{
if keyboard_check(vk_enter)
{
    switch(self.enter_string)
    {
        case 1: //username register
            scr_register_handling(txt);
        break;
        case 2: //password register
            scr_register_handling(noone, txt);
        break;
        case 3: //password confirmation
            scr_register_handling(noone, noone, txt);
        break;
        case 4: //username login
            scr_login_handling(txt);
            obj_dataholder.logged_username = txt;
        break;
        case 5: //password login
            scr_login_handling(noone, txt);
        break;
    }
}
}
Script code:
Code:
//Sets the three registration values as arguments
{
user_name = argument[0];
pass_word = argument[1];
pass_word_confirm = argument[2];

if (user_name == "")
{
    scr_message_display("Please enter a username")
}
else if file_exists(user_name)
{
    scr_message_display("Username has already been taken by someone using your machine");
}
else
{
    if (pass_word != pass_word_confirm)
    {
        scr_message_display("Confirmation password does not match the password you entered")
    }
    else
    {
        //irrelevant code, not showing this :P
    }
}
}

Then for the three textbox instances that are in the room, they have the variable "enter_string" (declared in create event code) set to 1, 2 and 3 respectively, and I checked!

My only guess would be that it has something to do with the fact that the text is written in a draw event and not a step event... But even then, the variables are declared as strings in create event, so what the hell?

chamaeleon

This is a rather incoherently described problem, and I see no evidence of you attempting to display, using show_debug_message() or show_message(), the value of variables to prove to yourself that things are correct at various points in time in your code. Then there are things like the fact that you initialize enter_string to 0, but 0 does not have a case in step event switch, nor any change to its value in any of the code. So just based on what you're showing, nothing should happen at all. Finally, it rubs me the wrong way to do anything in the draw event that isn't related to drawing, like changing the values of your string variables, something more suited to step event code.

X

XirmiX

This is a rather incoherently described problem, and I see no evidence of you attempting to display, using show_debug_message() or show_message(), the value of variables to prove to yourself that things are correct at various points in time in your code.
Alright, good point... still, nothing being clarified, however (I put show_debug_message to be shown upon the creation of textboxes, the sending of information to the script from textboxes (step event) and within the script itself, right after it receives them) and according to the debugger, everything should work fine, yet the error message still displays for whatever reason:
upload_2017-7-28_23-57-22.png

Then there are things like the fact that you initialize enter_string to 0, but 0 does not have a case in step event switch, nor any change to its value in any of the code. So just based on what you're showing, nothing should happen at all.
Line 5 of the Step event code I already provided:
Code:
-.-

I even thought it might be that it needs to put "self." before it sends each thing, but considering that text was writing in each of the textboxes just fine and they weren't overriding each other without "self." being put behind the "txt" and "tt" variables, this couldn't have been the issue... and it wasn't:
upload_2017-7-28_23-57-53.png

Finally, it rubs me the wrong way to do anything in the draw event that isn't related to drawing, like changing the values of your string variables, something more suited to step event code.
There's no way that's the issue, however, since the strings are written to, and are even declared in CREATE event. The script should then, at least recognise them as strings, even if they're recognised as empty, but here, it's not recognising them as anything at all, or something else may be for whatever reason?

chamaeleon

Well, as you can see, user_name is -4 in your debug window. And -4 happens to be the value of noone.. Hopefully you can correlate this with your code.

W

Wraithious

how do I create a new post ???
If you are on a mobile device you must turn it sideways to landscape view to see the post new topic link

Oops sorry that scenerio is used to view the search the forum option

W

Wraithious

I agree with @chamaeleon ,
Finally, it rubs me the wrong way to do anything in the draw event that isn't related to drawing, like changing the values of your string variables, something more suited to step event code.
There's no way that's the issue, however, since the strings are written to, and are even declared in CREATE event. The script should then, at least recognise them as strings, even if they're recognised as empty, but here, it's not recognising them as anything at all, or something else may be for whatever reason?
You definatly shouldnt be changing variables in the draw event that aren't directly nessesary for drawing, if you continue to do this it will come back to haunt you.
And it looks to me like the problem is occuring when you set tt to keyboard_string, you should use
Code:
tt = string(keyboard_string);
instead of just
Code:
tt = keyboard_string;

X

XirmiX

I agree with @chamaeleon ,

You definatly shouldnt be changing variables in the draw event that aren't directly nessesary for drawing, if you continue to do this it will come back to haunt you.
And it looks to me like the problem is occuring when you set tt to keyboard_string, you should use
Code:
tt = string(keyboard_string);
instead of just
Code:
tt = keyboard_string;
Okay, fair enough. If this was web programming, it would be like CSS doing javascript's work. But the thing is, the code has both draw elements and basic mechanical elements... so, this is how I changed it around. Now code is as follows (the script still has all the same code):

Create event
Code:
self.selected = false;
self.max_char = 30;
self.char_written = 0;
txt = "";
tt = "";

draw_txt = false;
draw_tt = false;

enter_string = 0;

show_debug_message("txt: " + txt);
show_debug_message("tt: " + tt);

Step event
Code:
///Checking instance id for sending text where needed
{
if self.selected == true
{
    self.tt = keyboard_string;//set keyboard string to a temp var
    if (string_length(self.tt) > 30)
    {
        keyboard_string = string_copy(self.tt, 1, 30);
        self.txt = tt;
    }
    //these are just to update text variable (this is the variable to hold the key string value)
    var update_keys = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_backspace) || keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter);
    if (update_keys)
    {
        self.txt = self.tt;
    }
    self.txt = self.tt;
    draw_tt = true;//draw the text
}
else
{
    draw_txt = true;//this is the text when not selected
}
{
    {
            show_debug_message("user_name txt: " + self.txt);
            scr_register_handling(self.txt);
        break;
            show_debug_message("pass_word txt: " + self.txt);
            scr_register_handling(noone, self.txt);
        break;
        show_debug_message("pass_word_confirm txt: " + self.txt);
            scr_register_handling(noone, noone, self.txt);
        break;
            scr_login_handling(self.txt);
            obj_dataholder.logged_username = self.txt;
        break;
            scr_login_handling(noone, self.txt);
        break;
    }
}
}
Draw event
Code:
draw_self();
draw_set_colour(c_lime);

if draw_tt == true
{
    draw_text(x-56, y, self.tt);//draw the text
}
if draw_txt == true
{
    draw_text(x-56, y, self.txt);//this is the text when not selected
}
Yet still, it gives the same error:
upload_2017-7-29_11-25-49.png
What could be going on? I mean, yes, in the step event, I have things set too "noone" in places, but that's because I don't want anything to be sent as those arguments. I'm guessing that's the problem! How can I make a line of code such as scr_register_handling(noone, noone, self.txt); not send anything to the script as the first two arguments, so that it can keep the first two arguments from the previous instances that sent it information (because you have 3 instances of the same object sending different pieces of information to the script, depending on what a variable for that instance is declared to)?

X

XirmiX

Or alternatively, I changed code to make it so that the first two instances (username textbox and password textbox) create global variables that are defined as their text and then have the third instance (password confirm) take those and send it all to the script. I even commented out the cases 4 and 5:

Code:
if self.selected == true
{
    self.tt = keyboard_string;//set keyboard string to a temp var
    if (string_length(self.tt) > 30)
    {
        self.txt = tt;
    }
    if (update_keys)
    {
        self.txt = self.tt;
    }
    self.txt = self.tt;
}
else
{
}
{
    {
            show_debug_message("user_name txt: " + self.txt);
            global.user_box_id = self.txt;
            //scr_register_handling(self.txt);
        break;
            show_debug_message("pass_word txt: " + self.txt);
            global.pass_box_id = self.txt;
            //scr_register_handling(noone, self.txt);
        break;
        show_debug_message("pass_word_confirm txt: " + self.txt);
            scr_register_handling(global.user_box_id, global.pass_box_id, self.txt);
        break;
        /*
        break;
        break;*/
    }
}
However, even then the error still occurs. Help! I've ran out of ideas on how to fix this :(

sp202

You're still using the self prefix for every instance variable? I thought I explained to you that it does nothing and you're wasting time typing 5 extra characters each time.

X

XirmiX

You're still using the self prefix for every instance variable? I thought I explained to you that it does nothing and you're wasting time typing 5 extra characters each time.
I know, I know, but I just want to be safe, and it works as a reminder of what the code is for, and it's for each instance separately and not all instances.

Regardless, it isn't creating my problem. What IS making the error occur, I have no idea, and that's why I'm asking here.

sp202

You don't understand how variables are scoped and that's a big issue. Self is doing absolutely nothing, variables are instance scoped by default meaning they refer to the variables within the instance and not to all instances of an object as you seem to believe.

Can you please repost the code without the comments and the selfs.

W

Wraithious

Ahh wait, I see you are trying to set the keyboard_string built in variable, I'm not sure you can set that, it only gets changed by keyboard input as far as I know but I could be wrong, I'll test it when I get to my computer

T

TimothyAllen

You are making the error lol. You keep passing noone as arguments into your script... noone is nothing more than a GM constant that holds the value -4.... which IS NOT A STRING. Stop passing noone as an argument that your script expects to be a string.

X

XirmiX

You can't assume the script is expecting a string in that argument slot as he has hasn't posted the code for them. Which is an issue.
Well, the error seems to say the script is expecting a string, though yes, I have not set a code for that. How does this matter though? Script should just take what it's fed, and if I send a string, it better be saving a string... that was snarky, but is that not how this is supposed to work? Anyway I removed all of the "self." (21 total), since you're so triggered by them, still no change in execution though:

of Step Event0
for object obj_textbox:

global variable <unknown built-in variable>(-1610512735, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_textbox_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 47) - scr_register_handling(global.user_box_id, global.pass_box_id, txt);
############################################################################################

Create event code
Code:
selected = false;
max_char = 30;
char_written = 0;
txt = "";
tt = "";

draw_txt = false;
draw_tt = false;

enter_string = 0;

Step event code
Code:
if selected == true
{
    {
        txt = tt;
    }
    if (update_keys)
    {
        txt = tt;
    }
    txt = tt;
}
else
{
}

{
    {
            show_debug_message("user_name txt: " + txt);
            global.user_box_id = txt;
        break;
            show_debug_message("pass_word txt: " + txt);
            global.pass_box_id = txt;
        break;
            show_debug_message("pass_word_confirm txt: " + txt);
            scr_register_handling(global.user_box_id, global.pass_box_id, txt);
        break;
        /*
        break;
        break;*/
    }
}
Draw event code
Code:
draw_self();
draw_set_colour(c_lime);

if draw_tt == true
{
}
if draw_txt == true
{
}
Script code
Code:
{
user_name = argument[0];
pass_word = argument[1];

show_debug_message("user_name: " + user_name);
show_debug_message("pass_word: " + pass_word);
show_debug_message("pass_word_confirm: " + pass_word_confirm);

if (user_name == "")
{
}
{
    scr_message_display("Username has already been taken by someone using your machine");

/*
    with instance_number(obj_textbox)
    {
        sprite_index = ;
    }*/
}
else
{
    {
        scr_message_display("Confirmation password does not match the password you entered")
    }
    else
    {
        //irrelevant code
    }
}
}

You are making the error lol. You keep passing noone as arguments into your script... noone is nothing more than a GM constant that holds the value -4.... which IS NOT A STRING. Stop passing noone as an argument that your script expects to be a string.
Second time now someone's not caught up with things... Read my previous post, or just look above, I guess. There's no more "noone" and the error is still occurring.

T

TimothyAllen

Well, the error seems to say the script is expecting a string, though yes, I have not set a code for that. How does this matter though? Script should just take what it's fed, and if I send a string, it better be saving a string... that was snarky, but is that not how this is supposed to work? Anyway I removed all of the "self." (21 total), since you're so triggered by them, still no change in execution though:

of Step Event0
for object obj_textbox:

global variable <unknown built-in variable>(-1610512735, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_textbox_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 47) - scr_register_handling(global.user_box_id, global.pass_box_id, txt);

Create event code
Code:
selected = false;
max_char = 30;
char_written = 0;
txt = "";
tt = "";

draw_txt = false;
draw_tt = false;

enter_string = 0;

Step event code
Code:
if selected == true
{
    {
        txt = tt;
    }
    if (update_keys)
    {
        txt = tt;
    }
    txt = tt;
}
else
{
}

{
    {
            global.user_box_id = txt;
        break;
            global.pass_box_id = txt;
        break;
        break;
        /*
        break;
        break;*/
    }
}
Draw event code
Code:
draw_self();
draw_set_colour(c_lime);

if draw_tt == true
{
}
if draw_txt == true
{
}
Script code
Code:
{
user_name = argument[0];
pass_word = argument[1];

show_debug_message("user_name: " + user_name);
show_debug_message("pass_word: " + pass_word);
show_debug_message("pass_word_confirm: " + pass_word_confirm);

if (user_name == "")
{
}
{

/*
    with instance_number(obj_textbox)
    {
        sprite_index = ;
    }*/
}
else
{
    {
    }
    else
    {
        //irrelevant code
    }
}
}

Second time now someone's not caught up with things... Read my previous post, or just look above, I guess. There's no more "noone" and the error is still occurring.
eh... I still see a noone.

EDIT: Oh I see it is commented out.
EDIT2: So when and where do you initialize global.user_box_id and global.pass_box_id. It seems the new error is just saying one of those variables does not exist yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

sp202

Well, the error seems to say the script is expecting a string, though yes, I have not set a code for that. How does this matter though? Script should just take what it's fed, and if I send a string, it better be saving a string... that was snarky, but is that not how this is supposed to work? Anyway I removed all of the "self." (21 total), since you're so triggered by them
The script takes the arguments it's given, correct, but you're the one treating that argument like a string by using it in file_exists. The real problem is that you're not sending a string, you're sending an id which is a real value.

You removed the selfs for my sake? Because I'm "triggered by them" (which is quite an immature thing to say)? If you'd like to spend time typing out the selfs because you like the way they look, be my guest.

T

trolog

Are you defining global.user_box_id and global.pass_box_id BEFORE they are used?

EDIT: You aren't defining the variables before passing them in as arguments

chamaeleon

You can't state "the error is still occurring" when it is not the same error. You should say "a different error is occurring". In other words, previously you needed to find out that noone (a number) was being added to a string, something gms does not allow. Now you need to figure out why a global variable is not set.

T

trolog

Teh global variables are not set in CASE 3

break;

It's possible to hit this code without setting the global.user_box_id and global.pass_box_id

Hope this is clear?

X

XirmiX

@trolog and @chamaeleon (would be useful if you put up profile pictures, as sometimes it's hard to differentiate whether someone was the same user or not) the global variables were executed at the same time as the script arguments were sent. I never thought this could even be a thing that could occur, but now thinking about it, it does make sense, so I just needed to put the code in an alarm and set the alarm to 1 (frame).

W

Wraithious

In your script, you define some variables according to 3 arguments, but in your step event (I know you now have the lines commented out to not call the script yet, BUT when you do) you're not passing all 3 arguments every time the script can be called, that will result in a crash too, the script will expect 3 arguments every time it is called no matter what. but to see what's going on with the debug message crashing change:
Code:
            //scr_register_handling(txt);
        break;
            //scr_register_handling(noone, txt);
        break;
            //scr_register_handling(noone, noone, txt);
        break;
to:
Code:
            show_debug_message("user_name txt: " + string(txt));
            //scr_register_handling(txt,"","");              //MUST SEND all 3 arguments, can't use noone
        break;
            show_debug_message("pass_word txt: "+ string(txt));
            //scr_register_handling("", txt,"");             //MUST SEND all 3 arguments, can't use noone
        break;
        show_debug_message("pass_word_confirm txt: "+ string(txt));
            //scr_register_handling("", "", txt);             //THIS one was correct, you sent all three arguments, but you still can't use noone
        break;

//Same deal when you go to uncomment cases 4 and 5
and see what you get in your debug message and debugger output.

Also just wondering, did you define the variables user_name, pass_word and pass_word_confirm in the create event of your object that calls the script?

Last edited by a moderator:
X

XirmiX

@Wraithious those variables are arguments in the script, they are declared in the script. I have it all fixed now; what happens now is that the first two textbox instances declare their text as global variables. Then, for the thirs textbox, it will now call an alarm 1 frame later, so that the first two textboxes can declare those variables. After that, the alarm for that textbox will take those global variables that the previous two text boxes declared, as well as the third textbox's string and send it all to the script at once. Currently I'm getting an error, but it's due to an unrelated reason to this. This has been fixed, as far as I can tell.

W

Wraithious

Ok but still in your step event code you aren't passing all the arguments all the time, if you pass 1 argument to the script then later pass 2 or 3 your script will crash, I'm just saying you have to pass all the arguments every time weather the script uses them or not.

X

XirmiX

Ok but still in your step event code you aren't passing all the arguments all the time, if you pass 1 argument to the script then later pass 2 or 3 your script will crash, I'm just saying you have to pass all the arguments every time weather the script uses them or not.
Okay, I got it, it IS passing all of the arguments at the same time now, otherwise it wouldn't work for me right now. Now that I have this working, I can finally put my focus on two different things, one being text displays (just messages, for indication) and getting a second player connected to the server, which, and I checked, should run fine, but crashes the server upon a second player joining... anyway, thanks for all your support everyone!