• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

(SOLVED) 2 codes written similar are working way differently

R

RoyalApocalyptic

SOLVED!
The solution, for anyone else having this issue was to run the arms "follow" code in the End Step event rather than the step event.

In my game, the player's head and arms are separate from the body and point to the mouse and follow the player.

The head in this case works 100% fine, snapping to the player perfectly and not falling behind.
But the arms trail behind a bit, not going the same speed as the character's torso.

It is a very minor trail and looks fine while running, but if the character picks up speed or falls at all, the arms start to trail behind significantly and looks horrible.

Here is an example.
Left is what happens when the character is at a high speed.
Right is what it is SUPPOSED to be.

upload_2017-1-9_17-58-27.png

Code:

Head code:

if obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_right
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_jump_right
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_fall_right
{
x = obj_player.x;
y = obj_player.y-4;
}
if obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_left
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_jump_left
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_fall_left
{
x = obj_player.x;
y = obj_player.y-4;
}

Arms code(Yes I know it can be condensed a bit but I am very early in dev of this game at the moment.) :

if obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_right && mouse_x > x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_right_walk && mouse_x > x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_fall_right && mouse_x > x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_jump_right && mouse_x > x
{
obj_arms.x = obj_player.x-4;
obj_arms.y = obj_player.y+4;
}

if obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_left && mouse_x < x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_left_walk && mouse_x < x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_fall_left && mouse_x < x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_jump_left && mouse_x < x
{
obj_arms.x = obj_player.x+4;
}

if obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_right && mouse_x < x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_right_walk && mouse_x < x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_fall_right && mouse_x < x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_jump_right && mouse_x < x
{
obj_arms.x = obj_player.x+4;
}

if obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_left && mouse_x > x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_left_walk && mouse_x > x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_fall_left && mouse_x > x
|| obj_player.sprite_index = spr_player_jump_left && mouse_x > x
{
obj_arms.x = obj_player.x-4;
}

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deanaro

Im guessing the arm isntance is being ran before the body. So its always in the previous coordinates. Try creating the body object first. Go to the room editor and go into creation order. Put the body before all the other bodyparts.

Edit:
After looking at your code a little more. You seem to be checking sprite_index alot. It would make your code look much better if you assign a direction variable (lets call it face) to -1 or 1 (left or right) and do one check:
If face = 1
{}
Else if face = -1
{}

Last edited by a moderator:

Murzy

You should do all of the movements in a single place to make it consistent. That is, make the body determine the location of the head and the arms relative to itself, after you have done the actual movement for the body.

As Deanaro said, the problem is caused by the creation order of the objects. If all of this code is in the objects' step events it may be that the arms always update before the body, and thus lag one step behind. (Think all of the instances in your game. The step event for each of the instances you have, i.e. body, arms, head, is executed sequentially. So the order in which the instances are created has a big impact on how the code actually works in this case.) This can be noticeable when the body moves at a fast pace.

An easy fix for this would be to change the arm's code to the end step event, so it is executed after the body's update, during the same frame/tick. However, I would recommend moving all the movement code to a single place :)

Last edited:
It might be one of two things:

1) Your sprites for the various left / right states don't all have the same x/y point for their dimensions. Assuming that x/y is the center: say that one is ten pixels wide and the same in height - its center would be 5 pixels, if the next is 12 pixels width / height then its center would be 6 pixels. So the arm would be jumping one pixel further when it changes. If there's a bigger difference between the images then it will be more pronounced.

Looking at your sprites it would seem that one is smaller in height than the other - perhaps you haven't accounted for the origin point being in a different place?

2) It could be the step event you are running it in. Objects reach their move position in the 'step' step event. When you have another object moving to follow its position you want the code for that in the 'end' step event

R

RoyalApocalyptic

You guys are beautiful people, thank you! I have been having this issue for weeks and I couldn't find any solutions.

I have tried making the code all in one place previously but it didn't work, but making the code run in the End Step event worked perfect.