• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM [SOLVED] 1.4.9999: color constants are LYING to me

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Somebody thought it was a good idea to introduce a breaking change in the final version of GMS1 (which I updated to reluctantly since I just updated my physically-falling-apart laptop), swapping out the colors' red and blue values (now it's rrggbb instead of bbggrr). So far so good (except it breaks every existing color value in every existing project).

But this also affects the constants, c_red now is a blue color and c_orange a turquoise color. Isn't the whole point of constants to make your code NOT get ****ed up when underlying implementations change?

I'm not really feeling like manually replacing every color value used in every piece of vector drawing in all my projects, is there a way to switch back to the old way color numbers are interpreted without having to dig up a 1.4.1377 installer? (And by "way" I mean "preferably not running a regexp replace operation on your entire project folder")

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Okay, found a solution on my own*: even if the 1.4.1773 download URL is gone from the patch notes, you can still download it from Yoyo if you dig deep enough in the downloads page.

*as in, got tech support off-GMC, I didn't actually solve it myself

A

aGameDev

I just want to mention that I had this same problem after updating to 1.4.9999

I was testing my game in Windows, and Blue was Red, and Red was Blue.... So I just swapped the colors and told it to make Blue color when I wanted Red.... But then when I compiled my app for Android, the colors were wrong again..... So.... I changed back to asking for Red.

Soooo, it seems that the color reversal glitch happens when running for Windows but not when running for Android.

(What platform are you running on, Yal?)

Also, I remember the values in the Drag-and-Drop interface were reversed for placing an effect "above" or "behind" the scenery.... So my colored effect (which was previously working fine) was suddenly going BEHIND the scenery (making it not visible) instead of in front of it.... So in that case I had to change to telling it to place the effect "behind / below" the scenery, and then it would instead appear on top / in front of it.....

Yep, isn't it great when they introduce weird bugs into the *final* version?
They don't actually care at this point -- their answer is, "pay us money and buy the new version." They should understand that it doesn't give us confidence to spend more money on their products when the final versions are left with glaring glitches that will never be fixed. Why wouldn't we expect the same thing to happen with their new version at some point in the future, when the next new version comes along?

We know this version is outdated, but people are still using it, and it should be expected to work correctly.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Running on Windows only, the smartphone market is so saturated and messy that I don't think it's worth the effort, especially not since I'm doing gamedev mostly for fun while earning my food and housing money from a day job as a boring truck firmware engineer :p

I guess you could work around the issue by using Configurations: have your own col_red, col_blue etc macros that are different in Windows and Android configurations, so that you can use the same macros everywhere but they get different values on different platforms. You'd need to replace every apperance of them in the entire project, and it wouldn't work if you use D&D events, but it's probably less work than any other workaround.

Or, you know, just get 1.4.1773 if none of 1.4.9999's features are vital for you. (Manually change the version number in a download URL)

A

aGameDev

Hey, I used to work for a trucking software company (tracking trucks, mileage & fuel tax, driver logs, etc.).
Yep, boring.

That's a good idea -- using configurations to work around the problem. Of course, I only did testing on Windows because that's the fastest way to run a game, so I don't actually need to do that. I published only for android.

Yeah, I also pretty much did the game development just for fun and hobby.