Demo Solve Bot - Gameboy-styled retro puzzle platformer - Demo out now!

Scythuz

sb-banner-io.png

Solve Bot is a challenging puzzle platformer made with some gameboy limitations (low resolution, limited shades). This demo version features 20 levels, for every 10 levels you have only 5 lives to work with or it's game over!

You play as Solve Bot who is: fast, agile and precise, but, can only take one hit before dying, so be careful! This game can be played with a keyboard or with controllers with xinput support.

Keyboard Controls - Arrow keys to move, space to jump, backspace/enter for menu controls.

Controller inputs - Dpad or Left Joystick to move, A to jump, Start/Back (Select) for menu controls.

Feedback is welcome and encouraged!

v1.1 update: Added level music, ui alterations and the ability to quit with q at anytime.

sb-ss1.png
sb-ss2.png
sb-ss3.png

Download and play the demo now!

Last edited:

obscene

I like it. I think it could use some level music though. Also a way to close it in fullscreen would be nice as well as using "Spacebar" or "Enter" instead of "Start" for keyboard users.

Scythuz

I like it. I think it could use some level music though. Also a way to close it in fullscreen would be nice as well as using "Spacebar" or "Enter" instead of "Start" for keyboard users.
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I've been very unsure about whether I should add level music or not in the final version of the game because I'm worried it'll make the audio too busy. I'm going to try it out in the future and see what happens, maybe I'm just overthinking it :)

obscene

Something simple. One of my favorites from a puzzle game is below. Very minimalistic. Leaves plenty of room for the game.

obscene

That's pretty good IMO :). The drums aren't very gameboyish though if you're going for purity. The open hat especially.

Scythuz

That's pretty good IMO :). The drums aren't very gameboyish though if you're going for purity. The open hat especially.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

I used a sample library called Super Audio Cart for all the music and sounds. I'm not going for 100% purity but all of the sounds (including the drums) were from the gameboy section so they will have used actual gameboy sounds to create them. That being said, even though they seem to be manipulating the same noise channel that the gameboy uses, I don't think they can go this far with it and process a game at the same time. I've seen stuff like it done on gameboy hardware with music making cartridges, but never in an actual game.