Free Solomon's Key - Classic arcade remake

I

immortalx

Get the full game from here:
https://onedrive.live.com/download?...C741A273C5A69F4!24672&authkey=AKRSXMhuzfjJwf4

Solomon's Key was an arcade puzzle platformer game developed by Tecmo (now Koei-Tecmo) in 1986.
It was ported to several platforms including C64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, NES and more.

You control Dana, a magician who is able to cast and destroy stone blocks, throw fireballs and avoid or destroy its enemies. The objective is to get a key which opens the door that advances you to the next level. Along the way there are several collectible items, some of them hidden under blocks and others appearing after casting and destroying a block. There are 51 levels including some bonus ones.

This is my first game, completed after about 2 months of development and meant as an experiment to get familiar with GameMaker. I encourage every beginner to do the same, that is, making a clone of a classic game in order to keep their focus on the programming part.
I also contacted the original developer Mr Michitaka Tsuruta and he was very happy with the remake!
I wasn't able to play-test all levels due to lack of time, so if you play the game and find any bugs please let me know.
Thanks for taking a look!

I

immortalx

Thanks a lot guys!
I've put a bit of effort trying to get an acceptable html5 version but I'm running into issues:
I have a bitmap font which renders all black instead of white.
Ctrl/Alt keys which are the defaults for cast/fireball don't seem to be working. I guess that's a browser restriction?

C

Cjleeh

Thanks a lot guys!
I've put a bit of effort trying to get an acceptable html5 version but I'm running into issues:
I have a bitmap font which renders all black instead of white.
Ctrl/Alt keys which are the defaults for cast/fireball don't seem to be working. I guess that's a browser restriction?
I have no idea if you still come to this board, or much less monitor this thread for any activity. I have a question about the Solomon's Key arcade port. My question is, Is there any chance you would be willing, or able to make a alternative .exe for those who want to play through the entire game? You have to start over from scratch every time the game turns off, and being there are so many levels in this game. I find it kind of hard to find the time to complete it because there is no way for me to save my progress, or get back to where I left off. I know you wanted to stay true to the arcade version, and I am fine with that. I am just hoping if I asked, and explained the rationality behind why having some way of picking the game back up each time without being sat back at the very start each time would make it easier for those who cannot leave the game running till they complete it lol.

Anyway, you did an awesome job. I was wanting to play Solomon's Key for some time now. I am use to the NES version, but this is nice too. :)

I

immortalx

Hi @Cjleeh and thanks for the nice words!
I rarely visit the forum because I've moved to C/C++ programming, so please give me a day to find the source, install GMS2 and do a version with level selection.

BTW, my son is making his own port of the game in C++, which comes with a level editor and will be open source! I'll post the github repo here when he gets it ready, for anyone who might be interested.

C

Cjleeh

Hi @Cjleeh and thanks for the nice words!
I rarely visit the forum because I've moved to C/C++ programming, so please give me a day to find the source, install GMS2 and do a version with level selection.

BTW, my son is making his own port of the game in C++, which comes with a level editor and will be open source! I'll post the github repo here when he gets it ready, for anyone who might be interested.
Sounds good, I am glad to hear that there are more people learning to program. Thank you for sharing your story. I am interested in what work you do in C/C++. I am not a programmer, but I love old school games. I am fascinated by what accomplishments can be made when it comes to bringing an old IP back from the grave, Such as The Bard's Tale Trilogy.

I

immortalx

Sounds good, I am glad to hear that there are more people learning to program. Thank you for sharing your story. I am interested in what work you do in C/C++. I am not a programmer, but I love old school games. I am fascinated by what accomplishments can be made when it comes to bringing an old IP back from the grave, Such as The Bard's Tale Trilogy.
Hi @Cjleeh and sorry it took me so long. It seems I forgot almost everything about GML and I made a very crude version where you can select which level to launch. As soon as you press START, a dialogue box will ask you for a level number. Enter a number between 1 and 51.

Regarding C/C++ : My first project was a mod music tracker and now I'm writing a source code editor which is a bit like Emacs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqzdgfv84xsowwm/solomons_key_level_select.zip?dl=0