• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Software crashing and freezing after closing sprite editor

S

Silversea

Sorry for any overly negative tone in this thread but this is just getting really frustrating.

Since GM7 I've had to cross my fingers every time I edit a sprite, because inevitably the "crash bug" will eventually befall my projects. This issue has survived over GM8, and still continues today in GMS. I continually submit bug reports but I've never received any input so far. So I'm now hoping that a forum post will help with ideas, suggestions, and solutions...

How does this bug surface?

Open a sprite. Make changes, or none at all, and then hit the check mark button. When the sprite editor window closes, and shows the summary of the sprite it crashes, and then causes a complete freeze in the software (representing by the "fade to white" effect). In these cases the only resort is to open task manager and close GM, or use Window's "program not responding" to close it.

I'm not sure what the exact cause is. All I know is that it eventually happens. I tried replicating this in a blank project of 10 sprites but I could find no specific reason why it happens, and the sprite it occurs on is also random.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Silversea

Well I feel like an idiot but I managed to get backups working by rewriting the project folder and project file names. I haven't seen some of these projects in a long time wow.

Still, would be nice to prevent this from happening again. That supports that for some reason the cache seems to be screwy. Any backup loaded under the name of the corrupt project crashes as usual.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I just wanted to confirm with you that you are not alone and yes I've had this problem too... I haven't had it happen in GMS2 however, and I assume since it is a completely new IDE that this shouldn't be a problem at all in GMS2, but I don't say I know that from experience because I don't use GMS2's sprite editor that often...

S

Silversea

I think it happens when the sprite name is highlighted, I enter the editor, click check box, and then hint enter to save the sprite. This sometimes clears the name as it's saving, hence corruption...

edit: this is not the case.

S

Silversea

Now that I'm really working on projects this error hits me at least twice a day. It is always after leaving the sprite editor (by hitting the check mark on the screen showing all subimages). It has nothing to do with the name as I had suspected.

An update: changes do not need to be made to the sprite to trigger the issue. It happens if changes are made to the sprite, file name, or if nothing is edited at all. Just opening the sprite viewer, and then closing it with the check button, is enough to trigger the issue.

rIKmAN

I have found two other threads covering the same issue:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-recover-work-from-crashes.1068/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/...ere_anyway_to_save_whilst_stuck_in_a_crashed/

So at least I'm not the only person. Maybe because it is a sprite editor issue fewer people experience it. Many people probably just import from files instead of editing in the editor for GM, right?
YYG have said multiple times that from their analytics / feedback that the sprite editor is the most used feature of GM.

S

Silversea

YYG have said multiple times that from their analytics / feedback that the sprite editor is the most used feature of GM.
Interesting. So I wonder why this is not reported very frequently? It can happen many times in a day for me, regardless of operating system. What interests me the most is how it has been inherited from previous versions of GM.

S

Silversea

Except you can't save changes to the sprite without closing the editor. Since the help desk is finally down I guess this will never be fixed...! Sorry to the staff for resubmitting this bug over and over even when you told me it wasn't replicable -- I was just impatient and stressed out. It's just costing me a lot more development time than usual. Probably not much more to go with this thread, unless someone knows how to fix it from this point on.