• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

soft body texture/shape

P

PieBaron

Hello,

I've just finished some basic game maker tutorials and just managed to make a basic physics object test.
I would like my object to be soft body,

I can make a basic physics particle group shape using physics_particle_group_polygon();
Which I can get to act as a soft body via this tutorial
, but I don't know how to proceed in order to make the soft body take on the shape of a sprite and deform the sprite.

I saw somewhere someone mention using a 2D primitive with sprite as the texture,
I was able to make a 2D primitive in the shape of my sprite, very laboriously (is there a simple way?)
But how would I go about making this 2D primitive get deformed / be rigged to the physics particle group? I haven't attempted the texture mapping yet.

M

montiedragon

You'd want to change the position of the points on the primitive to the position of the points of the particles while maintaining the same UV value. I'd look at physics_particle_group_get_data to get started. A bit of a warning, this is all fairly advanced stuff.

P

PieBaron

You'd want to change the position of the points on the primitive to the position of the points of the particles while maintaining the same UV value. I'd look at physics_particle_group_get_data to get started. A bit of a warning, this is all fairly advanced stuff.
Thanks, now I have a vague idea for a course of action, I was worried things would only get more complicated.. Maybe I'll leave this project for another time.
I'll have a look and see if theres any engines(libraries?)/scripts or something which might help, can your recommend a good place to look?
I found this website http://www.gmtoolbox.com/ which seems to have quite a few physics things but I haven't read up on them all yet.