• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Soft Body particles position meeting

S

Siracher

hi

is there a way to check if soft body particles collide with another object?

position meeting and place meeting doesn't seem to work.

Simon Gust

No, but you can make them predict collision on creation.
Say you have a particle at a given speed towards a wall.
If you know the distance they were created from then you could time their death when they would reach the wall.
This only works with linear motion and if there aren't any moving objects because it would fake the result.

A good example would be rain drops that spawn above the screen and already know how long it takes them to reach a certain position on the ground.

S

Siracher

Hi Simon

thanks for the explanation! I tried to make a portal where the particles enter the portal and will be moved to the portal exit.
It works absolutely fine with other physics objects but not with the soft body particles.
And prediction is unfortunately not possible as they colide a lot before reaching the portal.
Maybe it would work to delete the particles on portal entry and rebuild them in the portal exit... But direction and speed would need to be fetched.

But it's ok I just leave this and focus on the tons of other things left to do ;-)

Jezla

The details of it are a bit over my head, but I know you can store physics particle data in a buffer; there are different flags you can set to determine which data is stored. This section of the manual may help.