SOCK-SOCK goes POP-POP (Gifs)

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by RujiK, Oct 23, 2017.

1. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

@RujiK: No problem. The new tileset looks great, and your tools are awesome looking as usual! Cool stuff!

I kind of asked you before, but is there an easy way to get a list of all the objects/tiles/etc in my game during run-time? I really want to start developing the tools for my game, too, even if it's simply pulling up a list of objects and dropping instances and/or tiles into my room during run-time. The built in level editor is much better in GMS2, but still doesn't compare to something that's "live" like the tools you have here. Very cool stuff!

RujiK likes this.
  2. nnynas

nnynas Member

@RujiK oh wow I just came across this thread for the first time and realized instantly, I had seen this somewhere before.. until I remembered following you on twitter a while ago. This is looking great, nice to know it's developed with gamemaker!

I think this will become something good, imo way better than the project you put on a break. Good move! :)

</OT> <!-- that the whole msg was :D -->

RujiK likes this.
  3. RujiK

RujiK Member

@GMWolf Glad you like it :)
    @nnynas Hellow twitter friend! Welcome to the thread and thanks for your compliments :)

@RichHopelessComposer In my case whenever I create an object I add it to some kind of list. Like an NPC has this in his creation:

Code:
    ds_list_add(global.unit_list,id); //ALL movable units. Players, NPC's, boxes, etc
    ds_list_add(global.npc_list,id); //only NPC's.

And whenever I add a tile, I add it to TWO ds_maps:
    Code:
        tile = tile_add(_backg[_index],_pos,0,_wid,_height,xpos,ypos,_depth);

ds_map_add(tile_ID_map,pos,tile); //So I can search the tiles by ID
        ds_map_add(tile_pos_map,tile,pos); //So i can search the tiles by position

Because the tiles are not placed in standard 16x16 grids or whatever, tile_get_x() and tile_get_y() aren't very helpful so I need to record the "real" coordinates.

Custom editors can be a lot of fun and they really aren't that difficult to make if your game is simple like mine. Feel free to PM me if you have specifics, I owe you for that art post :p

RichHopefulComposer likes this.
  4. RujiK

RujiK Member

☁ ☁ COTTON CLOUD ZONE ☁ ☁

[​IMG]

NEW: butterflies. (and lots of migrating birds)
    [​IMG]

NEW: Big bear. This fatso shoves you far with his belly bounce.
    [​IMG]

And a gameplay change. Previously, you slowly aimed your throw like yo:
    [​IMG]

BUT NOT ANYMORE! AUTO AIM for super fast gameplay!
    [​IMG]

When you press throw, it locks on to the nearest target and releases the ball when you release the button.
    [​IMG]

The reason for the change was that manual aiming slowed down the gameplay and it was hard to hit anything that wasn't super close. The view made judging angles diffult and near misses were frustrating.

The sky islands in the background of the first picture took a long time to draw and you probably didn't even notice them. DID YOU??
    [​IMG]
    Tell me they are pretty. Feel free to also tell me I am pretty.

5. SnotWaffle Studios

SnotWaffle Studios Member

Beautiful as always. Good call on the auto-aiming!
    I'm so excited for this game :D

RujiK likes this.
  6. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

You know, it may not be intended, but if you lengthen the wings a bit, you've also got flying fish to go with your birds. Just for additional environmental ambiance. Or maybe a mechanic, like a temporary fish bridge/platform. It would be thematically appropriate for the game I've seen so far.

RujiK likes this.
  7. YanBG

YanBG Member

Don't take it bad, but the aim looks like he is peeing :D

RujiK likes this.
  8. orSQUADstra

orSQUADstra Member

Locking on nearest target surely make the gameplay faster, but in all honesty I personally don't like that kind of gameplay. I once played an FPS game where it autolocks onto enemies and literally all you have to do is press left mouse button and WASD through the whole game. It would be neat if the game would include a switch or an option to toggle autolock on/off :D

9. RujiK

RujiK Member

@YanBG If pink lines look like your pee, you may want to go see a doctor. Just sayin ;)
    @CMAllen Flying fish is a good idea. It especially matches the floating island level since there is an ocean in the background.
    @SnotWaffle Studios :D
    @orSQUADstra I don't like autoaiming in FPS's either, but this isn't really comparible. The controls are just so clunky and the perspective makes it very difficult to judge angles. It's more comparible to kirby's dreamcourse than an FPS:
    [​IMG]
    Kirby's dreamcourse would be almost impossible if there were moving enemies that try to kill you. The aiming is just too slow and clunky for any quick attacks. I hope you're not too dissapointed, but I don't plan on having a toggle since the enemies will be built around the auto-aim mechanic.

MANGROVE ROVE
    [​IMG]

And in motion:
    [​IMG]

Two New goofballs. I am quite pleased with the frog.
    [​IMG]

Jumpy Boys. (Bitey Boy is extra mean)
    [​IMG]

Cool transition effect!
    [​IMG]
    Now that I have the "bones" of the transition code in place, making different ones should be quite easy.

Did you notice the sweet mountains in the background? They noticed you.
    [​IMG]

How I draw a mangrove tree FAST! I can draw these bad boys in like 10 minutes now.
    [​IMG]

Peace out! Me and my boys are off to a party. Feel free to let me know what your favorite herbivore is your or thoughts about the game.
    [​IMG]

sitebender, FROGANUS, milch and 6 others like this.
  10. Arashi

Arashi Member

It would be better, if ground and water would come from bellow and than trees and houses would come from above during transition effect.

Carloskhard, RujiK and orSQUADstra like this.
  11. RujiK

RujiK Member

@Arashi Good idea!
    [​IMG]

(Feel free to follow this man's example and give me some more ideas.)

12. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

Definitely need gators (or one's head) as part of some water hazard!

RujiK likes this.
  13. YanBG

YanBG Member

I probably wouldn't want to see the blocks being created but the effect looks good!

RujiK likes this.
  14. Zek

Zek Member

I assume it's probably just at the start of the game tho?

RujiK and SnotWaffle Studios like this.
  15. Carloskhard

Carloskhard Member

You can't imagine how much how I enjoy every update you make :) Hopping to see the game finish soon (but in the other hand never want to stop seeing new features jaja)

RujiK and SnotWaffle Studios like this.
  16. RujiK

RujiK Member

@CMAllen Water creatures are on the todo list :p
    @YanBG Like @Zek said, It was only an effect for the beginning of the level.
    @Carloskhard Thanks! I've been making good progress but it seems like the more I make, the more I need to do.

Okay, so I have loaaaads of updates, but I'll just post some of the biggest stuff for now.

GAME DIRECTION CHANGE:
    The game WAS going to be a 2.5d platformer with a small amount of time spent in a main hub area.
    The game IS going to be interacting with NPC's in a town with a small amount of 2.5d platforming.

Why the change?
    I just wasn't really liking the game to be honest. I'm not a big fan of 3d/2d platformers and I didn't like what I was making. Helping NPC's and making friends in a game appeals to me much more than just platforming

Did you waste a lot of work?
    Almost none. Some AI work will need to be tweaked but almost everything can still be used.

Here are some pictures of the Town I've been working on:

[​IMG]

If your naughty the police will get you:
    [​IMG]

An Ivy cottage:
    [​IMG]

And a timelapse of BUILDING it. (Drawing assets is not shown obviously)
    [​IMG]

And a weird bug. (Gif is sped up)
    [​IMG]
    Every time a lift changed direction that the player was riding, the player was shifting over by about a tenth of a pixel. Ride for a long time and eventually you fell off. Rounding floating points were to blame. It's fixed now.

I still have loads of new content to show but I will hold off until the next update. Updates have been slow but work has not! See you soon.

17. frd

frd Member

Wow, this is really great!

RujiK likes this.
  18. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Nice, I really like the color tones, they're like a mixture of pastely but vivid. Looks quite refreshing
    I saw this game a few months ago but didn't bother commenting cus it looked "errr, not sure", but now it looks really cool
    I like the new changes with the game style aswell, it sounds more original now,
    plus the art was always cool to begin with

RujiK likes this.
  19. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

EXCELLENT STUFF! Everything you have posted is a feast for the eyes!

RujiK likes this.
  20. FROGANUS

FROGANUS Member

Wow this keeps looking awsome!

How much will shooting be emphasized in context of gameplay? The physics look fun for experimental throwing of things at things.
    Would it be worth it to keep manual aim intact, perhaps as a secondary option for trickshots and/or environmental interaction, etc?

Also that bear is cool. He has a 'slightly suspicious' vibe, heh. I feel like the animation for the belly bump could be just a little more embellished/indicative.

Keep up the work!

RujiK likes this.
  21. Toque

Toque Member

Sock puppets. I like it.

RujiK likes this.
  22. Liam Jacobs

Liam Jacobs Member

Firstly, might I just say, this game looks AMAZING! I saw the initial posts (up until the hat stacking) when they first came out. I forgot the name of the thread, but I've sorta been searching for (read 'hoping it would pop up somewhere for me, because I'm too lazy to seek out') this game for a while now.

Secondly; I think the change in concept will do this game well. I was a big fan of the concept + style of the game as a platformer, but an isometric RPG version of this game looks even better. I wish you the best of luck! Will be following the project closely from here on out. If/when this releases, you can count on my purchase/download!

A few concepts:
    • It'd be nice to have some kind of endgame. I don't know if this is designed to have a story-line or ending yet, but it seems like some kind of overarching story would be a nice addition.
    • You just gotta keep the hats. This project was fine at first. Just fine... not fantastic, not life-altering, fine. And then you added the stacking hats. I would gun down my own kin. I would perform unspeakable, unsavory, unequaled acts... for the hats to remain in this game. Even if they have nothing to do with anything. Even if you could just acquire hats and stack them on the 'lil sock to absolutely no gain. Hats. Yes.
    • I don't know why, but this game makes me think of old Point and Click adventure games from the 80s-90s era of gaming. While not the EXACT same concept, it may be interesting to include some elements from those genres. I.E. Using items to solve puzzles, combining items, collecting items, the dialog system, etc, etc. Just a concept.
    • +500 points (if there's a story) and the characters find out they were being controlled by a pair of hands (the player) the entire time. 'Ya know... sock puppets, hands. I'm sure you see where I'm coming from.

RujiK likes this.
  23. RujiK

RujiK Member

@Toque @frd @pixeltroid Thanks my dudes!

@Joe Ellis Glad the game is more appealing now :D

@FROGANUS Throwing will be the main fighting mechanic. I'm still undecided how much actual fighting will be in the game though. Also I hadn't thought about using the manual throw for world interactions. That is a good idea which I will have to write down and keep in mind.

@Liam Jacobs Always good to get a new fan! :) For your questions:
    1. Will 100% have a story.
    2. Hats 100% Yes.
    3. There will probably be a few minor puzzles to mess with. Undecided on what type though.
    4. Undecided, but some future changes to the game may make this idea impractical. Cool idea though.
    Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Plot twist!! Houses now actually have something inside them! (Wow!!!!!!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since I had NO furniture or interior tiles drawn, making them all took a LONG time. I am slow artist. I hope you like them.

TRANSITION TIME!

Typically RPG's tend to fade the screen to black when you enter a house. I wanted to do something more visibly appealing so I skipped the black and did a straight scene-to-scene fade using the application surface.
    [​IMG]

This is KIND OF cool, but nothing to write home about. So I made a weird texture like this that blends from alpha to solid:
    [​IMG]

Then I used a shader to use that texture as an "Alpha-look-up-table" of sorts. The result looked like this:
    [​IMG]

This is definitely more original, but I didn't like the hard edges between the two transitions. So, with a little tweaking and blending of the edges, here is the final result:
    [​IMG]
    The gif compression doesn't do it full justice. Here is a still image to better show the blending:
    [​IMG]

And the great thing about this method is that I can make different transitions with no coding changes. All I have to do is make a new blend texture! That's pretty cool!

Thanks for your comments dudes!

24. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

Thats so ****ing epic!

25. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Looks awesome, but I actually prefer the "hard edge" look! It is way more original and eye catching, fits the pixel graphics perfectly, and reminds me of someone washing a window or wiping something away. The other version is nice enough, but doesn't quite have the same impact and nice "feel", imho.

26. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

Very much aree with this. Instead of fading, I'd just speed up the hard transition by 50-100%. Matches the aesthetic better, and both fading ones are vaguely "confusing" (for lack of a better word, lol) and unpleasant looking to me.

I do like the hard transition though. Very neat!

Nocturne likes this.
  27. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

I'm looking forward to seeing more updates with this, I was actually just thinking about it out of nowhere, that's a good sign I guess :D
    Also I love the view style, I tried looking up what it's called, in cinema 4d it's called "gentleman" but I looked up that and it had a load of pictures of Donald Trump. After refined search I found names like Oblique, Cavalier or Cabinet, well who cares anyway, but the main difference is that it's not standard isometric, which is refreshing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  28. ThatScaryChick

ThatScaryChick Member

Looks really good!