• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

So many accounts ...

C

connorhawke

There's one for the main site account, one for a publisher profile, one for a developer profile, one for the bug reporter, one for the helpdesk, one for the forum ... Anything I missed? That's 6 accounts and possibly more, for one person, which have to be signed into separately, perhaps with multiple passwords due to different requirements! :eek:

Why are publisher and developer sub-profiles needed in the main account? Why are the rest of the accounts separate from the main account? Surely a single, integrated account is ideal, for both the user and the staff administrating these accounts? I realise using different software (e.g. for the helpdesk, forum, etc) makes integration more difficult, but maybe transitioning to a central platform is something to consider down the road?

Just my 2 cents...

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Different software explains why multiple accounts are needed. Having multiple servers access the same database introduces synchronization and race condition issues.

So why different software? The main reason is that it's much easier to make an application that does one thing good than one that does six things good. (Heck, it's even easier than making one that does six things poorly).

N

NPT

Different software explains why multiple accounts are needed. Having multiple servers access the same database introduces synchronization and race condition issues.

So why different software? The main reason is that it's much easier to make an application that does one thing good than one that does six things good. (Heck, it's even easier than making one that does six things poorly).
Single signon between different software has been solved for years, LDAP and Active Directory being the two common, dominant protocols.

IPB (the old forums) supported both, but was obviously not used. I don't know if Xenforo supports it. But, if Xenforo doesn't support LDAP/Active Directory, then I really do question the decison to go with it. Single Signon has become an essiential element in modern multi-vendor/multi-platform systems.