So I've been recording my journey learning GameMaker

V

VicJBalbian

I'm not a programmer.

Or an artist, really.

But I really love games. And I've been trying to record my journey in learning how to make them ever since I grabbed the GameMaker Studio Humble Bundle. I started a channel last week and have made a simple Shoot 'em up, Pong and Space Invaders so far. The editing is definitely on the shorter side, but perhaps some of you might find it entertaining!

My Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyWG4wN6S2EAG7B3CLLdS5Q

My First Game:

Making Pong Variants:

Making Space Invaders:

Step by Step Space Invaders Picture Album:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Olxa5

Making Centipede Lite

Step by Step Centipede Picture Album:

http://imgur.com/gallery/UioQX

Making Anti-Aircraft Plus

Step by Step Anti-Aircraft Coming Over The Weekend!

Thanks for watching and hopefully there was some value in my journey to you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravedust

Hey cool, nice initial games! Cute solution to making the space invaders change directions and descend, BTW. :)
Anyway, Glad you're having fun and hope you stick with it. :)

V

VicJBalbian

Thanks! It certainly made the invaders a lot more hectic. Still tweaking to be done, of course, but it's been fun for sure.

V

VicJBalbian

Updated the videos with Centipede. Sort of. One of the main mechanics, anyway. Mirroring paths seems like voodoo at the moment, but figuring it out little by little. Step by step forth-coming.

Sabnock

These games are a great way to learn game maker and any form of programming. You've made a cracking start.

You definitely ahoukd try and do the space invaders alien pack as this is a good way to learn how to control multiple instances and synchronise them.

You've also upset my plans as I have been doing a quadrilogy of 80's games and was going to stop on the one I am currently making but now I really want to do centipede :)

V

VicJBalbian

Haha. I am having a blast.

I think taking a second pass at all of these once I know what I'm doing is going to be amazing and a revelation!

I've been considering a lot of old games to tackle. Here's a bit of brainstorming I was doing while browsing Moby:

Attachments

Sabnock

Haha. I am having a blast.

I think taking a second pass at all of these once I know what I'm doing is going to be amazing and a revelation!

I've been considering a lot of old games to tackle. Here's a bit of brainstorming I was doing while browsing Moby:
Wow, that's a great list, i look forward to those. Iove all those old classic games.

Which are you going to do next?

V

VicJBalbian

Right now I'm trying to decide between Computer Space and Night Driver.

I think I'll learn something neat in both, and I can kind of see how I can make them in my head. I know there will be challenges in both, but that's sort of the point with this approach.

Sabnock

Right now I'm trying to decide between Computer Space and Night Driver.

I think I'll learn something neat in both, and I can kind of see how I can make them in my head. I know there will be challenges in both, but that's sort of the point with this approach.
well as Computer space is basically Asteroids which has been done a lot on here (including by myself) it would be good to see how you get on with Night Driver. :D

don't dismiss Computer Space or even Asteroids for that matter as they will both give you great experience and teach you a lot.

V

VicJBalbian

Oh, for sure. It's more about which I want to do first!

I think I would learn a bit about physics in something like Computer Space. Not to mention AI. Computer Space is basically asteroids, except the goal is to shoot the other guy!

Night Driver, however, seems to me like a strange project. And that makes it really appealing. Faking 3D driving physics with white rectangles and movement on a black background would be really interesting to work with I think. But maybe too much? Hard to tell at this point.

Sabnock

Oh, for sure. It's more about which I want to do first!

I think I would learn a bit about physics in something like Computer Space. Not to mention AI. Computer Space is basically asteroids, except the goal is to shoot the other guy!

Night Driver, however, seems to me like a strange project. And that makes it really appealing. Faking 3D driving physics with white rectangles and movement on a black background would be really interesting to work with I think. But maybe too much? Hard to tell at this point.
Night Driver is probably a random track but with some math in there to make it look like there are long turns and corners plus the white rectangles would need to react when the player steers. it should be quite simple to create.

V

VicJBalbian

It might teach me a bit about code!

So far, it's all been drag & drop.

V

VicJBalbian

For sure. I'm kind of dipping my toe by replacing Actions with Scripts here and there.

It's terrifying but getting there!