• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM so... about the GML update..

S

SSJCoder

Clarification for Mods or people who mis-understand this post:
So, apparently talking about something that takes a Game Maker file and turns into an executable may not be permitted, in this case what I am talking about is a program that takes custom code such as:
Code:
add (a, b) {
    return a+b;
}
and allows you to import such code into GameMaker as a GML file, therefore it doesn't actually produce any executable or anything - just FYI

Hey guys, so I'm not (usually) a frequent on these forums, only a couple of days ago got back in the loop...
Last year I heard YoYo-Games was going to release the GML update where you finally don't have to use 'argument0'/'argument1'/etc/etc..

And only now I found out it's apparently not released yet? (or partly released? beta released? I have no idea...)

So, here was I, working on my stuff, and I already abandoned the 'argument0'/'argument1' stuff since years ago when I made my own compiler for my own GameMaker projects (which was very easy to do by the way, don't think it took me super long), was making my own language last year (which converts into Javascript/Assembly), but ran into some problems, so I kind of left that project, and started anew this year (I will get back to the project this year - or at least that is the plan).

One of the projects that I will be making (about to be released) is a newer version of that old GameMaker compiler, this time written in Javascript...

So, it now seems that I will release this to the public (since I plan to allow people in the upcoming Deep Magic Community Mod to use it), possibly before YoYo-Games releases these updates then? Well, the current plans are for GM8 only - but still xD

thoughts?

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The announcement topic has up-to-date information, speculating about the update's status is sort of forbidden (because people will think rumors and theories are real information and it just starts a downwards spiral of confusion). TLDR the update was delayed twice; one time because the closed beta (which is currently ongoing) found more issues than expected, a second time because all of Yoyo works from home due to the Corona outbreak, and there's no set ETA at the moment.

S

SSJCoder

This isn't about the GML update, but the idea that I could possibly release an update which addresses something that YoYo has not addressed for a long time.

From my POV, YoYo-Games is supposed to be a company with many workers, and yet I (who would probably fall under the "hobbyist" category) can make something in 5 mins that fixes what I consider to be a minor, but helpful issue in the programming of games: argument names.

Now, I just think it would be funny if, despite me already having ditched these old school ways in favor of my own tools, people who use this product still don't have it .. then on top of that I thought it would be ironic that I would (eventually) release something to the public which does address this minor issue, and .. still do it before YYG.

I mean .. let the facts speak for themselves .. many people say "oh they are a small company" "oh this" "oh that". k then lol.

If this becomes a thread of speculation I agree that it should be locked, until then, I don't see any issue with it - if a mod wants to lock it down then so be it, but that's on them.

Last edited:

Mercerenies

What you've done is compile to GML. It's super convenient and no doubt very nice to work with. But YYG is not planning to compile their changes to GML. They're making a fundamental change in the way GML works. A similar analogy could be made for any programming language. If I wanted to, say, add operator overloading to Javascript, I could write a JS-like language that compiles to JS but has operator overloading, and I could probably have it out to you by the end of the week. But if I wanted to make the same changes in Node to make the language actually support overloading operators, that would take much longer, because I'm not just painting over it but instead changing fundamental properties of the thing.

S

SSJCoder

What you've done is compile to GML. It's super convenient and no doubt very nice to work with. But YYG is not planning to compile their changes to GML. They're making a fundamental change in the way GML works. A similar analogy could be made for any programming language. If I wanted to, say, add operator overloading to Javascript, I could write a JS-like language that compiles to JS but has operator overloading, and I could probably have it out to you by the end of the week. But if I wanted to make the same changes in Node to make the language actually support overloading operators, that would take much longer, because I'm not just painting over it but instead changing fundamental properties of the thing.
Yes I understand, and I also understand they are actually pushing a lot of changes together - so while this may not become available for a while, when it does, a lot of other features will too.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Look, if you're only going to release it for GM8, you don't have to care what YoYo does with GML 2020. YoYo is not touching or supporting GM8 now, and they won't be touching or supporting GM8 again. Same thing for GMS 1.4.

S

SSJCoder

Look, if you're only going to release it for GM8, you don't have to care what YoYo does with GML 2020.
I don't care, it's just something interesting that happened to be the reality we live in 😂😂
at the end of the day, though I observe these things, they don't affect me at all.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
YellowAfterlife has basically written a custom GML variant for his text editor GMEdit, so this sort of thing does exist.

However, people generally prefer to write in vanilla GML. So I can't imagine what you are creating getting much attraction, especially with the requirement of having GM8 installed.

At best it could a cool thing to show of to people and brag about, and if you get personal use out of what you're making then that's the best thing which could happen.

S

SSJCoder

At best it could a cool thing to show of to people and brag about, and if you get personal use out of what you're making then that's the best thing which could happen.
yea, you're right, making a 5-min thing is something to "brag about" .. 😂😂😂

seriously? lol

if you're referring to my full project with all its features .. then in that case that project is not made for attraction, it's something personal for me, though I plan on allowing people to use it for certain public projects/events/etc (or for testing/experimening, very small scale)