• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Beta SnakePit

O

Otyugra

SnakePit
Made By: Matthew Kordon (Otyugra Games)

Current Version: [v_1.1.0] Download Link {4.9 MB}
Link to the GameJolt page: Link

Genre: Platformer, with a hint of JRPG

Abstract:
__"Embark through an atmospheric underrealm as a mysterious monster who collects lost souls, and talks with strange locals."
__SnakePit has a short length currently but is completely bug tested. Otyugra Games owns the rights to about half of the music but all other sounds and songs are owned by Capcom, and are taken from Gargoyle's Quest I and II. Controls are told to you in game. There is now controller support.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixeltroid

Why was the game screen made so small? And why was the game monochromatic?
Were you trying to recreate the classic gameboy look?

M

McWolke

Wow that was way shorter than expected. it's cute and the graphics are really nice. Jumping felt kinda wrong to me, because i stopped jumping as soon as i hit/walked against a wall. still good work :)

Why was the game screen made so small? And why was the game monochromatic?
Were you trying to recreate the classic gameboy look?
He wrote in the Game Jolt description that it was made for the LOWREZ Jam.

O

Otyugra

@pixeltroid The game is originally made for a competition in which the resolution needed to be 64 by 64 pixels, so I made the decision not to scale the game up default so that people could enjoy the novelty for playing a game on a really tiny screen. The game window can be resized. Rather than recreate the gameboy specifically, I wanted to evoke a vague feeling of old-school/retro. The colors are meant to convey the atmosphere. A future update will increase the screen resolution; partially because the text is currently too small.

@McWolke I'm really glad you liked the game. The jumping on walls was left in intentionally because I wanted the player to be able to wall jump and cling to the walls. I never got far enough into the game that I was able to have a part where the player is told Sikk can wall jump. In a future content update I might tweak that to be less over powered.

Fun fact: The game isn't technically monochromatic. The white is more peach than orange, and the dark gray is closer to blue than orange.

O

Otyugra

I updated the game from [v_1.0.1] to [v_1.1.0].

Changelog:
  • Sikk's gain momentum has he runs/glides, as opposed to moving at constant speed
  • Controller support
  • The game's screen width and length are increased and all of the art and levels were updated to accommodate. (from 64x64 to 84x70)
  • Dialog was updated/ added to.
  • The level design in level one was changed
  • Level two and the original ending were removed (I need to drastically change both in the next update)
  • Some music and sounds from Gargoyle's Quest I and II were replaced by music composed by me
  • Light volume balancing
  • Leaving any of the level's boundaries no longer awkwardly teleports you to the start of the level
  • The tutorial information segment was vastly improved with more information and new art
  • The ability to stretch the game window was removed

F

FROGANUS

Pretty Cool! The wall stick thing seems a little janky rather than intentional. I'd iron that out as well as the general controls a little. Like the acceleration seems strange like it takes a long time to kick in, but you can reach a higher speed? But for what I don't know. Maybe you could put some parts that require you to do the specific jumps to proceed. like as a tutorial. Also for the slow falling, you could make a pit that you have to float across, you know so the player can test the limits of the moves.
The top view part was kinda odd since it switched to 'spaces', rather than free pixel-to-pixel motion.
I didn't talk to Grut the first time and got stuck. Also he had not much to say, accused me of being rude. Whatever Grut...
Otherwise, yeah. it was fun and quick. would like to see a full chapter of levels.
Cheers!