• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Smash Ringtail Cat

Liam Earles

Smash Ringtail Cat is a game inspired by an animal species some people never heard of before, and takes inspiration to 80's and 90's video games.

An evil scientist known as Dr. Glitcher has a plan to glitch up the entire planet with his multiple ultimate weapons, with one that would glitch up the entire world! Only one with the powerful bond between family and friends would have to save the world and become the ultimate glitch annihilators.

Don't play around with the glitches, be the ultimate glitch annihilator!

Click the link below to download the game for free today!

https://glassseastar.gamejolt.io/smash-ringtail-cat

D

DWK

I'm posting here, but I'm the one on facebook who gave you all that feedback and said I'd try and play it in the near future lol. I gave your game a little playing time, and will post my thoughts. I only got as far as 1-3 I think? It was somewhere in the crystal forest area. I couldn't stand playing it any further than that, as it was just more tedious than fun.

To be honest, I think you're focusing on the wrong things when you start out making your game. The first thing you should do is to make the core actions of the player as smooth, polished, and as fun as you can. So in your game, you should make sure the running, jumping, and attacking are flawless and responsive. Make sure the character controls perfectly, and that you get rid of any glitches that you see (and thoroughly test this). As the player, once I spend a minute figuring out how the character handles, I should then be able to manipulate the character without thinking. It should be intuitive and feel like second-nature. Once you have the character controlling like a dream, you can start building your levels around this.

In your game, I was always unsure where my character would land after jumping, or after getting hit by an enemy or enemy attack. The wall-jumping was inconsistent; sometimes it would work smoothly, other times it wouldn't jump off the wall at all. Oftentimes I would land slightly underneath the platform, or even get stuck in the platform to the point where I couldn't get out until after a minute or two of mashing the buttons. And don't allow the character to jump on top of platforms at the top of the screen if they're going to die from doing so. Just close the ceiling up. It's especially worse, since there are enemies up there, which tells you that it should be a safe place to go.

Anyway, that's enough about that (even though that is the main issue). The game is a lot more colorful than I thought, so that criticism (from the facebook post) isn't quite an issue. The horizontal vines that you can hang from are too difficult to see though. Any elements that you use for gameplay should be sufficiently distinguishable from the background. Tilesets are still too "blocky", and the top of the collision boxes for the platforms are sometimes in weird places (like halfway down the tile).

Music was decent. I can't remember the music for the crystal area anymore, but I just played for a minute again to hear the forest music. It was ok; I liked it, but it seemed a bit out of place. There were SFX, contrary to what I thought from watching the videos. Nothing stuck out as being grating, so that's good. I can't remember anything being memorable though.

Level designs could use some work. I didn't see anything memorable. Just platforms and blocks placed along the screen, seemingly without any creative design. Not designed around any fun challenge. Maybe it gets better later, but I'll never see that if the earlier sections don't give me a reason to keep going. Bosses are also just as "ho-hum". I faced two bosses, both of which I just stood there and spammed the attack button. Beat both bosses without any effort. The bosses should put all the skills you've developed to that point to the test, and they should provide a challenge. They should be the "high-points" of your game, but instead, they were just "meh".

Just one more issue I'll comment on... Enemies just drop randomly from above, without any warning for the player. This caused many cheap deaths; very unfair. Sometimes they just suddenly appeared right above the player. And there were a couple frustrating moments from the shooting enemies, where I just couldn't jump up to the platform to kill them cause there wasn't enough time between their bullets (not to mention other enemies walking along the platform). Eventually got past those sections, but just didn't feel fun at all.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope you learn from this project before starting your next one. Spend a lot more time on the core mechanics of the game. Spend more time making your game look "professional". Doesn't have to mean super-detailed sprites or anything. Just make it simple, clean, and colorful (but in a good way!). Don't make it look like you just drew something up in a couple of seconds and threw it in there; take the time to make it look nice!

Liam Earles

I'm posting here, but I'm the one on facebook who gave you all that feedback and said I'd try and play it in the near future lol. I gave your game a little playing time, and will post my thoughts. I only got as far as 1-3 I think? It was somewhere in the crystal forest area. I couldn't stand playing it any further than that, as it was just more tedious than fun.

To be honest, I think you're focusing on the wrong things when you start out making your game. The first thing you should do is to make the core actions of the player as smooth, polished, and as fun as you can. So in your game, you should make sure the running, jumping, and attacking are flawless and responsive. Make sure the character controls perfectly, and that you get rid of any glitches that you see (and thoroughly test this). As the player, once I spend a minute figuring out how the character handles, I should then be able to manipulate the character without thinking. It should be intuitive and feel like second-nature. Once you have the character controlling like a dream, you can start building your levels around this.

In your game, I was always unsure where my character would land after jumping, or after getting hit by an enemy or enemy attack. The wall-jumping was inconsistent; sometimes it would work smoothly, other times it wouldn't jump off the wall at all. Oftentimes I would land slightly underneath the platform, or even get stuck in the platform to the point where I couldn't get out until after a minute or two of mashing the buttons. And don't allow the character to jump on top of platforms at the top of the screen if they're going to die from doing so. Just close the ceiling up. It's especially worse, since there are enemies up there, which tells you that it should be a safe place to go.

Anyway, that's enough about that (even though that is the main issue). The game is a lot more colorful than I thought, so that criticism (from the facebook post) isn't quite an issue. The horizontal vines that you can hang from are too difficult to see though. Any elements that you use for gameplay should be sufficiently distinguishable from the background. Tilesets are still too "blocky", and the top of the collision boxes for the platforms are sometimes in weird places (like halfway down the tile).

Music was decent. I can't remember the music for the crystal area anymore, but I just played for a minute again to hear the forest music. It was ok; I liked it, but it seemed a bit out of place. There were SFX, contrary to what I thought from watching the videos. Nothing stuck out as being grating, so that's good. I can't remember anything being memorable though.

Level designs could use some work. I didn't see anything memorable. Just platforms and blocks placed along the screen, seemingly without any creative design. Not designed around any fun challenge. Maybe it gets better later, but I'll never see that if the earlier sections don't give me a reason to keep going. Bosses are also just as "ho-hum". I faced two bosses, both of which I just stood there and spammed the attack button. Beat both bosses without any effort. The bosses should put all the skills you've developed to that point to the test, and they should provide a challenge. They should be the "high-points" of your game, but instead, they were just "meh".

Just one more issue I'll comment on... Enemies just drop randomly from above, without any warning for the player. This caused many cheap deaths; very unfair. Sometimes they just suddenly appeared right above the player. And there were a couple frustrating moments from the shooting enemies, where I just couldn't jump up to the platform to kill them cause there wasn't enough time between their bullets (not to mention other enemies walking along the platform). Eventually got past those sections, but just didn't feel fun at all.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope you learn from this project before starting your next one. Spend a lot more time on the core mechanics of the game. Spend more time making your game look "professional". Doesn't have to mean super-detailed sprites or anything. Just make it simple, clean, and colorful (but in a good way!). Don't make it look like you just drew something up in a couple of seconds and threw it in there; take the time to make it look nice!
Thanks for the feedback! I thought this was constructive. In my next project, or a Smash Ringtail Cat Sequel, I will be able to try better and improve on what's wrong with this game, and make my next project better. Glad you think the graphics were not an issue overall. But yeah, this is just the start, and I just need to improve with every project. Making games is hard, but I do believe that there will be a time where at least a project I made will succeed.

D

DWK

I hate to keep picking on this lol, but I also don't want you to think something is ok when it definitely needs more attention. Don't get me wrong, I am saying that I believe the character control to be the single most important issue that needs to be worked on. But that doesn't mean I think the other stuff is not an issue. Good, creative, memorable level design is very important too. And so is having visually appealing graphics (and the two overlap a little as well). I do believe the graphics were a big issue, and a lack of good animation for the sprites was one of the biggest issues. I just don't want you going about the sequel thinking that the graphics were alright, and then continuing down this path again. The graphics were far from great, and really need a lot of work as well. As Jorge on facebook stated, maybe watch some youtube tutorials (I'm sure there must be quite a few) or purchase some Udemy courses (which are usually fairly cheap). But yeah, definitely don't neglect this! :)

EDIT:

Just saw a thread in the Work in Progress section, called "A Crystal Life"... check that out. Kind of exemplifies what I was saying about graphics. Simple, clean, and colorful. But nothing that really takes a lot of sophisticated artistic ability. Just a lot of creativity. That's kind of what I was getting at; you can make something look really good without having much drawing ability. You just need to find a simple style that works.

Last edited by a moderator: