• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Small suggestion about the text editor (2.3)

E

EnrityGMS

Hi everyone, excuse me if there's anything wrong with this thread, it's my first time writing here.

So I updated GMS to 2.3 yesterday and after a while I encountered a few small things about the text editor. They are not issues or anything, but rather personal preferences and therefore I'm curious to know if others also think like me, and if there's any chance they will be changeable by the users in the future.

1) Folding code: I actually saw a few other people talking about this. The fact that you can fold your code without using regions is great, but may get in the way for some people. It would be nice to be able to deactivate this feature at will. Also, it's kinda annoying that the folding starts after the first curly brace and not the statement itself (at this moment I can't remember if it was like this for all statements or just functions). I'm one of those people who don't put the curly brace on the same line as the statement, but right now my function has to look like "function game_over() {" or else the curly brace won't be folded.

2) Color coding for methods: Currently the local functions / methods look just like local variables. This makes the code a little confusing when you see a variable followed by parenthesis. Giving them a different color would help recognizing them easier and making the code more readable.

Thanks for reading :)

rIKmAN

Hi everyone, excuse me if there's anything wrong with this thread, it's my first time writing here.

So I updated GMS to 2.3 yesterday and after a while I encountered a few small things about the text editor. They are not issues or anything, but rather personal preferences and therefore I'm curious to know if others also think like me, and if there's any chance they will be changeable by the users in the future.

1) Folding code: I actually saw a few other people talking about this. The fact that you can fold your code without using regions is great, but may get in the way for some people. It would be nice to be able to deactivate this feature at will. Also, it's kinda annoying that the folding starts after the first curly brace and not the statement itself (at this moment I can't remember if it was like this for all statements or just functions). I'm one of those people who don't put the curly brace on the same line as the statement, but right now my function has to look like "function game_over() {" or else the curly brace won't be folded.

2) Color coding for methods: Currently the local functions / methods look just like local variables. This makes the code a little confusing when you see a variable followed by parenthesis. Giving them a different color would help recognizing them easier and making the code more readable.

Thanks for reading :)
Not sure of the plans with (2), but (1) will be fixed in the next release v2.3.1 and also add the on/off toggle if you don't want the folding at all.