• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Small lag before playing loaded sounds for the fist time

Ito

Hello!

I'm noticing a small freeze (about 0.5 seconds) everytime the game plays a sound for the first time, which is weird because I chose "Uncompressed, not streamed" for all of them.

Example:

This never happened on GM:S (same project).

Why could this be?

Hyomoto

This is an old topic but I'm experiencing this too. But it isn't just playing sounds, it seems to be sound-related functions. For example, I have an menu and when you press the button it plays the sound. However, it also stops the previous sound so that they don't stack. However, if I press the button pretty fast and then stop, I'll hear about three effects still play. They play properly in that they aren't overlapping, but improperly in that they shouldn't be playing at all. There is no silence before my sound effect, I deleted it to the millisecond in Audacity, but no change. It's not just one sound effect either, I've long noticed they were off.

Any pointers? Anyone else with this issue? Surely it's not just two people who have noticed a delay in the audio system?

Hyomoto

You ever do something so incredibly stupid that when you figure it out you really figure you should just give up and go back to bed? I was so focused on assuming there was something wrong with the program I forgot to check the damn hardware and wouldn't you know, I figured it out. I have to stop laser focusing on what I think the issue is and actually look at the answer because in this case it is literally right in front of my face:

The audio is being routed through a bluetooth speaker. So, I feel incredibly dumb to the highest caliber for necroing a thread. I apologize GM community, feel free to burn my posts and give me ten lashings because I think I probably deserve that right now.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The audio is being routed through a bluetooth speaker. So, I feel incredibly dumb to the highest caliber for necroing a thread. I apologize GM community, feel free to burn my posts and give me ten lashings because I think I probably deserve that right now.
:) Happens to us all! I've had so many head-to-desk moments while making my games that I now program with a pillow strapped to my head... I'll leave this thread here though as it's something that other people could learn from, since the problem isn't something that may be immediately apparent.

You ever do something so incredibly stupid that when you figure it out you really figure you should just give up and go back to bed? I was so focused on assuming there was something wrong with the program I forgot to check the damn hardware and wouldn't you know, I figured it out. I have to stop laser focusing on what I think the issue is and actually look at the answer because in this case it is literally right in front of my face:

I'm logging in just to reply to this message. Lol, the same thing just happened to me. 5 second solution to a problem I've spent the last 20 minutes on!