So this is my first game I'm going to publish. I started this project on February 2016. It's my 9th sidescroller RPG (the first one from which I think the quality is good enough that I can actually publish it soon). My older projects started 2008, so this is the result of 10 years of ideas and improvements creating sidescroller RPGs. Sm4R is made with GM 8.0 because that is the version I always used (except for GM 7). I've already tried GM Studio but disliked many things about it, but that's another topic.
Sm4R is a crazy singleplayer 2D sidescroller RPG where you hunt monsters, complete quests, party up with other (bot)players and play minigames. By doing that you collect experience points and level up to increase your stats and skills. Find rare items and upgrade them to the max to become #1 of all players in your personal offline Sm4R world! Sm4R is a satire of typical MMORPG grinders. You'll be involved in varied and weird stories that may or may not remind you of your personal MMO experience.
- Over 60 maps containing more than 300 different mobs
- 12 boss monster maps
- 5 special maps with many diverse minigames
- Over 1300 unique items to equip and activate
- Over 500 different skills to learn
- 150 levels (each level unlocks new items and skills)
My favorite part of the game is starting to play with a weak character and getting him really badass by leveling up, farming items and upgraders. When upgrading equipment it adds visual effects to make your character look even more badass starting from +1 to +XX (find the limits out on your own).
Some facts about this Game Maker 8.0 project:
- Around 50k-100k lines of code
- 4000+ sprites used (doesn't contain any map parts because they are externally loaded)
- Around 3000 hours of work (not counting the parts that I could just copy from older projects)
- Wrote an own map editor that compiles the map to only a few layers of images with different properties
- Wrote an own 2D skeletal animation system and editor
I hope you've got some feedback for me