• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Slow Startup for Testing

F

Fidchell

Hello, everyone! New user of Gamemaker here. I'm loving the program so far, but there is one thing that is concerning me at the moment, and that is the length of time it takes for the program to compile and start up a game. I've seen videos where people's games start up in seconds, but mine takes around 15-20 seconds even with hardly anything in the game. I was wondering if this was normal, and if not, how I can adjust settings to speed it up. Thanks much!

DukeSoft

There should be a lot of stuff cached in there, like texture pages, sound files and everything else. If you choose YYC the code still has to be compiled, and that will take a lot of time. Are you using the VM Runner? That ones usually a lot faster. If you're already doing that, then the only speedup I can think of is placing your project on a faster storage medium, like an SSD.

F

Fidchell

There should be a lot of stuff cached in there, like texture pages, sound files and everything else. If you choose YYC the code still has to be compiled, and that will take a lot of time. Are you using the VM Runner? That ones usually a lot faster. If you're already doing that, then the only speedup I can think of is placing your project on a faster storage medium, like an SSD.
I'm not familiar with YYC or VM runner, could you explain please? And my project is definitely on my SSD.

EDIT: Fixed by restarting the computer. Imagine that! Thanks for helping either way.

Last edited by a moderator: