Windows Slow down from Video

Hi

I've got a LOT of movies in my game. What can I do to mitigate the cost. For example there are 12 levels, each with 5 stages.
For every level the gamer completed, the next map has a video, aboiut 15 seconds. The problem i think is that the levels accumulate
so everything is really slow once you get to the 10 level.

Another thing i think is related. I don't know if it is a GM thing or not. The first couple levels go really fist, then what seems like
the game is jumping around

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Are you sure that the slowdown is caused by videos? How did you verify this?

For starters, comment out everything related to the videos and see if the issue persists.

If so, how does the video player extension you're using work? Are there functions to unload videos after they finished playing, and are you using them?

That aside, for all performance-related questions, run the profiler and you'll hopefully see what's draining your performance.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Hi

I've got a LOT of movies in my game. What can I do to mitigate the cost. For example there are 12 levels, each with 5 stages.
For every level the gamer completed, the next map has a video, aboiut 15 seconds. The problem i think is that the levels accumulate
so everything is really slow once you get to the 10 level.

Another thing i think is related. I don't know if it is a GM thing or not. The first couple levels go really fist, then what seems like
the game is jumping around
Here's some things you can do:
  • Free dynamic resources like memory when you don't need it anymore.
  • Consider streaming from disk rather than loading the entire video at once.
  • Consider preloading all the videos and have them memory-resident so you have stable performance through the entire game.
  • Use compressed video like MP4 instead of AVI to reduce memory footprint
  • Have shorter or lower-quality videos
  • Render cutscenes in-engine using Sequences instead of using video footage