SLINX The Cat. Demo available

T

teamrocketboyz

okay I played your demo.
It played well. Very smooth. No issues at all. But I still feel like I may not have gotten the full experience of it because I didn't play it using a gamepad.

Some feedback:

- Nice character. Although some might find it odd that it doesn't look forward, but instead stares at the player.
- Regarding player movements, you've got it all covered. The cat can hover, jump / slide off walls,swim and swing. All good. But I felt it moved a little slow and didn't jump high enough. Especially since it's a cat, I expected it to be more agile.
- The Keyboard layout was not comfortable. Pressing control and shift for actions felt counter intuitive. IMO, platformers work best with WASD for movement, and action keys on the right side, perhaps K, L or O.
- Pressing enter mid game to refer to the control scheme took me all the way back to the start.

I made it till the spikes a few times but couldn't get past it. Maybe I'll do better with a controller.

I think a more comprehensive tutorial stage with specific instructions would help player get used to the control scheme.

Anyway, good work on the game. Keep us posted on any updates!
thank you dude for the feedback. glad the demo worked for you and it appears that i have ironed out the original problem.

i have taken onboard the commentsd you made about the movement speed and this has been made faster aswell as wall climbing is faster. i dont think i will be changing the jump height anytime soon as it affects the gameplay in a way im not satisfied with.

thank you once again.

T

teamrocketboyz

The latest build can be found here https://gamejolt.com/games/slinx_the_cat/511767

this update includes improved movement speed and wall climbing speed.
various visual updates.

next i will be working on making this more lika a game than a movement demo. improving the menu system and such.

T

teamrocketboyz

Not got round to creating the games menu yet. but the next update will be the biggest so far.

the update changes are as follows

different intro
different control layout
faster movement
visuals have changed minor
game now features a life/gameover system
the yarn ball now stays out for as long as the button is pressed, and returns once released

theres tons of small changes that are too many to mention. heres a video of the latest run of the first world.

Looking really good. A few suggestions from watching the latest vid. It might sound a little better if you alter the pitch randomly just a little bit with repetitive sounds (the jumping and the coins in particular). It just makes things sound a little organic. Also when the cat jumps into the water, maybe a little yowl and a brief shocked sprite or something, hahaha. Felines do not like to get wet =D. I assume the fan things at around 2:10 will damage you if you hit them? If they're an instant kill, you might wanna make them look a little more menacing. My first thought upon seeing them was that they would help you float across or something.

Keep up the purrfect work.

T

teamrocketboyz

Looking really good. A few suggestions from watching the latest vid. It might sound a little better if you alter the pitch randomly just a little bit with repetitive sounds (the jumping and the coins in particular). It just makes things sound a little organic. Also when the cat jumps into the water, maybe a little yowl and a brief shocked sprite or something, hahaha. Felines do not like to get wet =D. I assume the fan things at around 2:10 will damage you if you hit them? If they're an instant kill, you might wanna make them look a little more menacing. My first thought upon seeing them was that they would help you float across or something.

Keep up the purrfect work.
thank you very much for the feedback. it has been noted and added to the ever growing list of improvements.

T

teamrocketboyz

Just updated the characters look. i think its better but would like to know what you guys think. heres the old vs the new both in and out of water.

catnew.png