• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMS GUI Tutorials

T

TinyGamesLab

GMS GUI Tutorials - TinyGamesLab

GM Version: 1.4 and 2
Target Platform: ALL
Download: N/A (I'm uploading it all to itch.io and will share soon)
Links: N/A

Summary:
Hello Folks! I've recently got hooked by GUI, micro-interactions, menus, etc...
In this way, I decided to make a few tutorials showing you how to easily achieve some great effects on GMS!
All tutorials will be summarized in this first post:

Sliding Menu:
Hello Folks! I recently saw a gif of a menu sliding off to show another menu and I had the idea to port something similar to GMS.
The general idea is to have a small button menu to the side of the screen and as you click it, the game/app menu will change by sliding off and revealing the next menu.
In the first minute of the tutorial is a preview of what we'll achieve.

Tutorial:
The actual tutorial is on my YouTube channel and can be watched here:

Panel Menu
New tutorial with the same "theme" of Menu and GUI's:

Preview:

Video tutorial:

Any ideas of what to do next?

Regular Check-Box and Radio Buttons
This is the first tutorial in a series of 3, in which I'll teach you how to make checkboxes and radio buttons on game maker studio 2 and 1.4.
This is the final result:

Video Tutorial:

Slider Check-Box and Radio Buttons
The second tutorial in the series of 3, in which I'll teach you how to make check-boxes and radio buttons on game maker studio 2 and 1.4 that have a slider on/off effect.

Video Tutorial:

Animated Drag Check-Box and Radio Buttons
The third and last tutorial of the checkbox and radio buttons series, in which I'll teach you how to make them on game maker studio 2 and 1.4 that have an animated slider on/off effect.

Video Tutorial:

If you have any comments, complaints or suggestions, feel free to reply!
Also, if you'd like to see me making a tutorial of something specific, just let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TinyGamesLab

New tutorial with the same "theme" of Menu and GUI's:

Preview:

Video tutorial:

Any ideas of what to do next?

T

TinyGamesLab

Hey folks, I've been playing a lot with UI/UX lately in gamemaker studio, and this is what I have so far:

Would you guys like to get a tutorial on how to do it?
If so, in which GMS version (1.4 or 2)?
I've been meaning to test the version 2 for a while now, but since I have all the extensions in 1.4 I haven't done it yet....

T

TinyGamesLab

New tutorials out! (Made on GMS 2 but directly applicable to GMS 1.4)

They show you how to make the following:

Regular Check-Box and Radio Buttons
This is the first tutorial in a series of 3, in which I'll teach you how to make check-boxes and radio buttons on game maker studio 2 and 1.4.

Video Tutorial:

Slider Check-Box and Radio Buttons
The second tutorial in the series of 3, in which I'll teach you how to make check-boxes and radio buttons on game maker studio 2 and 1.4 that have a slider on/off effect.

Video Tutorial:

T

TinyGamesLab

Just added the last of the current series! Learn how to make this awesome animated effect for you GUI buttons:

Video Tutorial: