• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Beta Slautios [free roguelite]

R

rainlizard

Slautios is an Action RPG or roguelite. You kill a lot of monsters in some dark hell hole.

I'm requesting public playtesting before I move on from it. You're all devs, right? So you should be extra skilled at finding my bugs for me, lol. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

Wasnt exactly what i was expecting. Took me while to figure out what to do. :D

It was fun to slowly light up the area.
Very brutal difficulty especially in beginning, but having those permanent upgrades kept me playing for a while.
Maybe you could change dash from mouse direction to where you are moving instead. It would make kiting enemies bit easier.
Not sure if i was supposed to go somewhere. I usually just ran back to starting area when i got too low.

slautious.png
This is far as i got for now.

R

rainlizard

Thank you for playing!
Very brutal difficulty especially in beginning
Is there anything specifically you had trouble with? I can always apply some nerfs.
Maybe you could change dash from mouse direction to where you are moving instead. It would make kiting enemies bit easier.
In Controls you can set Mouse aiming to False, then rebind dodge and attack to something else. Or click "Set to keyboard only" which gives you a "ZXC + Arrow keys" control layout. Or use a controller. I'll keep the defaults for now because I like them unless I get a lot of requests to change the default.
Not sure if i was supposed to go somewhere.
There are bosses to defeat, but I wonder whether the player needs more direction - I was really hoping player curiosity would be the driving factor. Surely you noticed new locations and monsters as you dive deeper, is that not enough? Also you plainly stated your own motivation for playing when the game asked you "What motivates you?" (lol).

By the way, if you find yourself just trying to level up in the starting area, consider that you can obtain a lot more XP (Power) from deeper areas. I did my best to make sure the game doesn't feel like a grind.

Yrbiax

I dont think there is necessarily need for nerfs, it was just me not knowing what to do combined with low stats you have in beginning.
I moved to new areas few times, but wasnt sure if i was going into right direction.
I did kill minotaur and some other tougher enemies few times. That fire spell sure made things easier :D

Edit:
I played bit more, enjoying it so far. Tried doing bit longer runs, but i had difficulties finding my way back to spawn point.
Level seemed to be compeletely different when i came back from different area. I think that spawn point could be marked on the map.
Going to menu didnt seem to pause game. That was bit annoing.
My character is starting to be overpowered so perhaps i reach the end eventually :D

Also i got this error:
of Step Event0
for object oPlayer:

Unable to find any instance for object index '117204'
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
called from - gml_Script_thing_push (line 100)
called from - gml_Script_thing_interact (line 27)
called from - gml_Script_movement (line 119)
called from - gml_Script_p_move (line 79)
called from - gml_Script_player_step (line 29)
called from - gml_Object_oPlayer_Step_0 (line 2)

Last edited:
R

rainlizard

Glad you like it.
Tried doing bit longer runs, but i had difficulties finding my way back to spawn point.
It is intended for the trek back to become more and more harsh, areas generating again is part of that. "You need only look again for it all to have reshaped." is what this line is referring to in the opening text. This mechanic meshes well with fleeing from a large group chasing you after ringing a Bell in a deep area - otherwise you could ring bells and flee far too easily if you knew the path back to spawn. If you level up Luck you will be more likely to find "Orb of decay" which allows you to instantly teleport back. Your point is noted though, that when you're not being chased then there's no reason it shouldn't be easy to get back to the spawn point. I might implement that, showing it up on your map when you're not in combat.
Going to menu didnt seem to pause game. That was bit annoing.
I'm sorry about this, the game wasn't programmed using delta time (I will never make that mistake again). In Game Maker is there any other method to pause the game than the deactivate objects method? I could try and do this but it might be buggy or abusable. There are so many moving parts to stop.
Also i got this error
I was worried for a second but it's very funny to see this error, this is twice now someone has reported a bug which was something I believed I had already fixed, but I just didn't fix it correctly. In this case I mistakenly wrote !instance_exists instead of instance_exists. Thanks.

Yrbiax

Took me a while, but i finally beat the game!

salutious complete.png

I loved how each run felt like expedition into unknown. Each zone having their own hazards.
I went into west first, which turned out to be hardest (boss atleast). I got -60% power curse when i got my first boss kill :(
Very creative bosses, it took me while to even realize what was happening in south boss :D

I'm sorry about this, the game wasn't programmed using delta time (I will never make that mistake again). In Game Maker is there any other method to pause the game than the deactivate objects method? I could try and do this but it might be buggy or abusable. There are so many moving parts to stop.
I used FatalSleep's method for pausing.
Having pause menu in different room. It has been working for me atleast.

R

rainlizard

Well done completing it! The varied amount of time it takes people to finish the game is interesting to me, having knowledge of how the game works and getting lucky with items both can trim that playtime down by a lot.

"An expedition into the unknown", yep that's what I was going for.
I got a bit lazy with the animation on that south boss, could've made its attacks clearer than just upon-touch damage.

I used FatalSleep's method for pausing.
Thanks, not sure if I'll be able to use that room persistence method (there's a lot of dependencies on switching rooms), it would probably be easier for me to just deactivate enemies and figure out the bugs that come along with it. I will try and implement pausing for version 1.00

R

rainlizard

Game completed! Done with version 1.00, I only had about 3 people provide feedback but that's good enough. I guess I can post the game in "Made with GameMaker" forum now.

New:
-You can now pause the game (with the ESC/Start menu). It was easier to implement than I thought, hopefully there's no exploits.
-Removed poise damage (the sub-stat). The way it worked was monster types were either stunlockable or not, depending on your poise damage number. This felt very vague and it made the new-player experience hellish if you didn't level up Str/Tec right away, additionally making the combat confusing on a first impression. It could also screw you over late-game if you didn't totally max out your Str/Tec - you'd come across a Cactus or Minotaur and could be quickly killed by it when you expected your attack to stun it. A different implementation is possible, but I think it's important for the stunlocks to be predictable when fighting in chaotic large crowds as that's the kind of combat I want to encourage.
-When the player dies for the first time there is now a brief "cutscene" which explains the objective of the game. I was hesitant to add something like this but I received feedback from a few people about lacking direction and giving indication about the game having an end. This also solves a concern I had about players possibly being unable to find bosses, the game now explicitly tells you to seek them out.
-Upon starting a New game you can now select your default controls method.
-The south boss (confusing and underwhelming) has seen some big changes, mainly with the addition of some floating weapons which act like a giant blender.
-The west boss also received some changes to make it a little more interesting. It alters its movement speed based on a timer/pattern, alters its turning speed based on HP lost, has a combo attack and can push opponents around. Adjusted the head's collision box and nerfed bite damage from 150 to 100.
-Added "Limit Flying Debris" option to help for when there's big FPS drops.
-You can now always see the location of the Mind Stairs in your map (if you have one). I considered only showing it when not being persued but I don't think that makes much logical sense.
-"Regain stamina on kill" is now "Regain missing stamina on kill", regain a percentage of your missing stamina. I hope this isn't considered confusing but I'm low on text space in the UI. It's also now 0% to 40%.

Adjustments:
-Random monsters will no longer be placed in Central zone until you reach at least level 25. Previously there was a small chance for random species to be placed absolutely anywhere which meant fighting minotaurs at level 1.
-All shopkeepers always sell Paper now, not just the Central zone shopkeeper.
-Colour profile default is now 90 Gamma, 105 Red, 125 Blue. This will have a more accurate picture than before. (it's to compensate for the bad screen I designed my art on)
-Pit tiles adjusted so that you can walk along the edge, closer to the pit.
-Pits now require a longer touching time before you fall in. (15->25)
-You can no longer slide into a pit through movement deceleration (you must be pressing a movement key or dodging into it).
-Items are now a golden colour rather than blue (but may appear blue in dull lighting as the glow is still blue)
-Small Beetle bite damage 40 -> 30 (it was dealing more damage than a Goblin with an axe, which didn't seem right)
-Large Beetle bite damage 90 -> 60 (should be a little more in line with other Central zone enemies)
-Wizard lightning damage 2 -> 3 (50% more damage per frame)
-Wizard HP 75 -> 93
-Damned HP 93 -> 75 (Damned has a visibly smaller body than Wizard)
The XP (Power) rewards hadn't been updated in a long time despite some monsters being much more difficult to deal with than others:
-Wizard XP 250 -> 200
-Mask XP 400 -> 250
-Sun XP 500 -> 350
-Reptile XP 200 -> 400
-Knight XP 350 -> 500
-Reaper XP 950 -> 700
-Angel XP 1250 -> 950
-Minotaur XP 700 -> 1050
-Devil XP 1050 -> 1250
-Decreased lower-end XP required 400 -> 300 (so you can get out of the difficult early-game quicker)
-Blood shield rarity 0.333 -> 0.166 (twice as rare now)
-Some shadows adjusted
-Edited Heal/Restoration icon slightly.
-Prevented the smooth scaler option from being automatically enabled under certain resolutions.
-Message display time now takes into consideration message length.
-Made the Mercenary Summoner's welcome sound effect louder
-sfx_thud volume 0.5 -> 0.75

Bug fixes:
-Fixed softlock heal while being killed, for sure this time.
-An error is now displayed if you try to run the game within the zip file. If it's missing the /music/ and /ambience/ folders then you need to extract the entire game.
-Attempted fix of rare error in thing_push() script
-Fixed objects being rarely placed on top of each other. This was too complex to fix so I just added a check after the fact to remove overlappers.
-snd_beetle_armor_spike1 was the wrong sound file
-Fixed not filling to 100% HP when emerging from stairs with a +MAXHP heart in your inventory
-All particles are now cleared upon leaving an area
-Fixed a bug where some boss attacks such as projectiles weren't dealing damage depending on the boss's facing direction.

Tutorial garbage:
-Added another controls popup specifically for items saying "Space : Pickup item".
-Added extra popup messages for artifacts, equipping and using items when you have your inventory open.
-The "Seek glowbug" control popup is now written as: "Use ability".
-Movement controls now pop up first instead of Use ability controls.
-"Switch ability" controls popup and the "Level up" popup now wait until you've completed most of the other popups.
-Dodge controls popup now waits until you complete Attack popup and no longer requires that you take damage.
-Only display "Attack" and "Dodge" control popups if the player is not in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator: