• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Sizes for Pixel Art Games

11clock

Hello, I am currently learning pixel art and was wondering recommended sizes for sprites and resolution of a pixel art game. Thanks!

NightFrost

For pixel art screen resolution I many times use 480x270, being a quarter of the rather common 1920*1080 display size. That can be stepped up if less pixely look is needed. Sprites and background tiles either 32 or 16 pixels, depending on type of game. Not a hard limit for my sprites, but tiling I usually restrict to those because I can speed up many calculations when a tile side is 2^N.

K

KriLL

Id say 1920x1080 is good bet these days since its the most common display. Im using vectors though which can scale to any resolution though.

Bingdom

Googledom
I use ranging from 16-32 pixel sprites. Commonly 24x24.

For small pixel games, I usually set my view to 640x360. Half of 720HD.
Sometimes my view is 960x540 for 32x32 sprites or larger. 75% of 720p.

I wouldn't recommend setting your views much lower than 640x360. The view can become choppy and smoother camera movement will be more difficult. That's just my opinion. ;)

Genetix

If you ever plan to publish a game on Steam (or anywhere else) consider that you can be grilled for not supporting a larger resolution, such as 1920x1080. It is always easier to scale down then up.

NightFrost

I wouldn't recommend setting your views much lower than 640x360. The view can become choppy and smoother camera movement will be more difficult. That's just my opinion. ;)
Yes, staircase effect and pixel jitter in diagonal movement caused by fractional position changes can be noticeable if not smoothed out.

G

gamedev4life

generally speaking, think of it like this: 8x8 is nes graphics (8bit); 16x16 is snes (16bit); 32x32 is ps1 (32bit) graphic styles. the characters in my game in the youtube in my sig are 32x64, and the space character in my portfolio in my sig is 32x32. hope that helps

NightFrost

Also, what I have NOT found a good solution for is scrolling pixel art backgrounds at fractional speeds. When you move a background (or any image) in 270 or 360 tall screen at speeds like 40 / 60 (40 pixels across 60 steps) it creates a movement delta of 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0... While it is not exactly what one would call jittery, it leaves a clear impression in the eye that there's something in the movement that is not smooth. The only good solution seems to be to move 1 pixel a step exactly.

(We're talking about small pixel resolutions blown up to display size here, since some may be under different impression.)

Ninety

The others have all given good advice, so I will just add this: don't mix multiple pixel sizes. It's very, very hard to do well and 9/10 times it just looks jarring.

Hyomoto

I have to disagree with @NightFrost and say the exact opposite happens when you don't use fractions, because at low resolutions it gives a very jittery appearance, especially if you are working at higher than 24fps. However, you do need to make sure that animated elements pass-through and stop on whole numbers or you will get visible distortion.

NightFrost

I have to disagree with @NightFrost and say the exact opposite happens when you don't use fractions, because at low resolutions it gives a very jittery appearance, especially if you are working at higher than 24fps. However, you do need to make sure that animated elements pass-through and stop on whole numbers or you will get visible distortion.
That's interesting, I wonder how different methods we use. I'm saying integer speed is smooth because it creates no variance in time spent hopping from pixel to pixel. The 40/60 speed I mentioned above creates a situation where every third frame there is no motion. I'm not sure about the necessity of having whole numbers every step, as I don't think for example view position cares about the fractionals, as sub-pixel screen drawing obviously is not possible. However, just to be sure I always round positional information before use so fractions are never involved. Of course, if color interpolation is on things would be different, but I don' think that's a setting anyone should have turned on.

Hyomoto

I do a lot of manual positioning and scaling, and for something like a tile it needs to be at a whole number when not in motion, however, during that time if I round the numbers off it makes it very jittery. GM does handle sub pixels pretty well as long as your math is correct, the only problem is when a static sprite is not on a whole number when drawn. Then you get pixel stretching and compression. We may actually be doing things very similar, but just describing it differently.

T

Tonydaderp

I am currently making a game for the next Gameboy jam on gamejolt and itch. So I have to have a screen resolution of 160 by 144.

Hyomoto

Well, that's my favorite resolution to work in! For that you'll probably go with 8x8 sprites for a lot of things to maximize detail. This is my current project and it uses that resolution:
I make quite a bit of use of scaling and rotation and color, so it doesn't have a Gameboy aesthetic but the resolution is the same.