Graphics Size for good quality hand drawn sprites

M

Mirrorstreet

I've been working on a small game for a few weeks now, but I've come across a big problem; the size limitations.

My player-character is a hand drawn sprite, therefore the size is a lot bigger than a pixel game would be. My player is 132 x 170 px (which is even smaller than I intended to). I'm creating a maze like level, so corresponding with the size I ended up making the level about 8200 x 5400 px. The view is 1920 x 1080 px, because I thought that in order to get a good quality view I need to make it as big as most screens who are being used.

The problem came when I tried adding backgrounds and foregrounds because the size limitations scale it back and then stretch it out again. .. also they flip a little bit and after a while Game Maker starts being angry over not having enough memory. Which I get. I just didn't think that my idea would call for rocket-science and I don't know how to fix it. I want to make an animated background, so slicing it up would make other things difficult..

I work with drag and drop, but I can be flexible (as long as I don't have to do everything with code after this).

Does anyone have any tips? Is there a guide about hand drawn sprites and how it works with sizes, resolutions and sprite quality that I don't know about?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3olRdYFIJJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks!

Niels

Gamemaker doesn't really work nice if you want to do 4k 2d graphics.

In your case I would either draw the sprites equal to their size on screen, or 2 times the size on screen for a crisper look.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This video by the Skullgirls lead animator goes through some of the technical stuff they did to get this working (having memory issues even in a non-GM engine - high res 2D art is hard!), could be an interesting research thing to skim through for ideas.

M

Mirrorstreet

This video by the Skullgirls lead animator goes through some of the technical stuff they did to get this working (having memory issues even in a non-GM engine - high res 2D art is hard!), could be an interesting research thing to skim through for ideas.

Thank you. Considering game-animation it's very interesting. But yes, still struggeling with memory issues..

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This isn't the one? *skims through*
...derp, it wasn't. Could've sworn this is the video where they talk about the tech they used to get the animations to work (like having super pixelated low-rez versions of everything as placeholders when loading didn't catch up in time). I'll dig around some more and see if I can locate that original source.

M

Mirrorstreet

This isn't the one? *skims through*
...derp, it wasn't. Could've sworn this is the video where they talk about the tech they used to get the animations to work (like having super pixelated low-rez versions of everything as placeholders when loading didn't catch up in time). I'll dig around some more and see if I can locate that original source.
Lol. Thanks for the trouble