1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Size for good quality hand drawn sprites

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Mirrorstreet, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Mirrorstreet

Mirrorstreet Member

I've been working on a small game for a few weeks now, but I've come across a big problem; the size limitations.

My player-character is a hand drawn sprite, therefore the size is a lot bigger than a pixel game would be. My player is 132 x 170 px (which is even smaller than I intended to). I'm creating a maze like level, so corresponding with the size I ended up making the level about 8200 x 5400 px. The view is 1920 x 1080 px, because I thought that in order to get a good quality view I need to make it as big as most screens who are being used.

The problem came when I tried adding backgrounds and foregrounds because the size limitations scale it back and then stretch it out again. .. also they flip a little bit and after a while Game Maker starts being angry over not having enough memory. Which I get. I just didn't think that my idea would call for rocket-science and I don't know how to fix it. I want to make an animated background, so slicing it up would make other things difficult..

I work with drag and drop, but I can be flexible (as long as I don't have to do everything with code after this).

Does anyone have any tips? Is there a guide about hand drawn sprites and how it works with sizes, resolutions and sprite quality that I don't know about?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3olRdYFIJJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks!

2. Niels

Niels Member

Gamemaker doesn't really work nice if you want to do 4k 2d graphics.

In your case I would either draw the sprites equal to their size on screen, or 2 times the size on screen for a crisper look.

3. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

This video by the Skullgirls lead animator goes through some of the technical stuff they did to get this working (having memory issues even in a non-GM engine - high res 2D art is hard!), could be an interesting research thing to skim through for ideas.

DaMuffin likes this.
  4. Mirrorstreet

Mirrorstreet Member

Thank you. Considering game-animation it's very interesting. But yes, still struggeling with memory issues..

5. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

This isn't the one? *skims through*
    ...derp, it wasn't. Could've sworn this is the video where they talk about the tech they used to get the animations to work (like having super pixelated low-rez versions of everything as placeholders when loading didn't catch up in time). I'll dig around some more and see if I can locate that original source.

6. Mirrorstreet

Mirrorstreet Member

Lol. Thanks for the trouble