• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Since the release of GMS2, a sudden change of plans...

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Aside from the 1.x GameMaker: Player needing to ultimately die in the near future, (and the YYG staff seeming to avoid my thread about that)

There is the fact they used to have on this page: http://www.yoyogames.com/get

The out-and-out statement that 1.x users will have access to the full UWP, that runs on Windows Phone and XBoxOne, not just Windows 10 desktop, which they have removed from the site. It used to be an asterisk note (*) beside UWP (UWP Master Collection Only***) that you could read at the bottom of the page.

They are making a lot of poor choices, and to be completely honest, I'm a bit dissappointed in them.

This is where they are getting borderline dishonest, I say borderline and not completely dishonest because they weren't planning on things to be this way, it's more of a last minute decision and change of plans kind of thing.

This is similar to back when Master Collection owners, got free access, as said on the YoYoGames website, "to all current and future export modules", but then they changed the site a good number of months later to "all current and future1.x export modules". This is just wrong.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, the first time, YoYoGames. Here I was several weeks ago, still thinking I'd be able to make UWP XBoxOne games, with the good old 1.x, only to find out otherwise, just recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

I have not got round to trying it yet as the last time I checked I also saw the asterisk next to UWP which said Windows10 only, others coming soon and I want to try XB1 exporting.

However check this thread where I link to another thread with a comment by Russel where he seems to be saying XB1 export currently works in 1.4 with a little hoop jumping - of course with a little advertisement for how much GMS2 will be better at it.

It's a little shady to have changed the webpage though if that is the case, especially because as you say, it was advertised that full UWP support would be available at some point.

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Hey @rIKmAN

Thanks for the info. By the time I get an XBoxOne to test on, I'll probably end up getting the 2.x version of UWP, but its nice to have a means to do that in 1.x in case if I'll ever need it. :)

zbox

GMC Elder
Aside from the 1.x GameMaker: Player needing to ultimately die in the near future
I mean, only things that were alive in the first place can die.

I get it YYG you worked hard on it but come on some comprehensive analysis of the idea would work would have been good.

inb4 nocturne tells me they have 'plans' for it again

rIKmAN

Hey @rIKmAN

Thanks for the info. By the time I get an XBoxOne to test on, I'll probably end up getting the 2.x version of UWP, but its nice to have a means to do that in 1.x in case if I'll ever need it. :)
Well I'm not saying it will work - as you see in the thread I linked another user is having certificate problems, and the explanation by Russel is pretty vague in itself.

Something like that should be a post on the YYG Blog like all the other articles on setting the various SDKs up, not a few lines buried in the forum by a staff member with a signature that says his posts aren't the official thoughts of YYG.

That's no dig at Russell either, I appreciate he posted at all, but you get my point.

I'm relatively new to GM, and the one thing that sticks out to me so far is how vague any responses from staff are on pretty much anything they get asked with regards to updates, fixes, features being added etc.

The community here is awesome, but they just don't tell us anything and the biggest cause of frustration is not knowing what's going on.
I thought Shaun becoming Community Manager would be a great link to bridge that gap as he seemed to be one of the most active members but even he has gone radio silent recently except to promote GMS2.

Anyway I didn't mean to post a wall of text, but when I get round to trying it I'll let you know how it goes.
I have a few hundred gigabytes of games I need to transfer to my external drive before I switch my XB1 to dev mode, and not enough time in the day.

I'm hoping the Wife will get me a cheap Xbox One for Christmas. Do you think my kids will be mad when they can't use it because it will be part of my dev rig? XD
That's why you have to convince her to buy 2 - you and the kids will be busy which means she gets some peace and quiet ;)

Plus you can share Gold and game share digital games which means you only have to buy once and the kids can play it too on their Xbox as if they owned it,