• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Simulating Game Execution

M

minoush82

Hello,

I want to perform some testing on the game I have created, and I need some help.

Without loss of generality, let the game be composed of three rooms rm_1, rm_2a, and rm_2b. Room rm_1 has two buttons button_a which when pressed, the game moves to room rm_2a; and button_b which when pressed, the game moves to room rm_2b. Each of the rooms rm_2a and rm_2b has a button button_return that takes it back to room rm_1 when pressed.

I want to test this game without actually playing it i.e. without having to click the buttons myself. I want to create a new room rm_testing that will automatically create the first room, and "simulates" the mouse clicks on the buttons which should perform the room transitions as described (rm_1 to rm_2a via button_a, rm_2a to rm_1 via button_return, rm_1 to rm_2b via button_b, and rm_2b to rm_1 via button_return). Basically, I will have to sit and watch the game being played according to the test specification. Is this even possible?

I came across the routines event_perform() and event_perform_object() but I could not quite use them to achieve my goal.

Any thoughts on how I might do what I want? or alternatively how automated testing for the above example can be performed?

Thanks.